Man shocked to find scorpion in box of Sainsbury's blackberries

The scorpion found in the box of blackberries. Photo: SWNSThe scorpion found in the box of blackberries. Photo: SWNS
The scorpion found in the box of blackberries. Photo: SWNS
An OAP was left in shock after he opened a box of supermarket blackberries and found a scorpion inside.

James Green, 71, had nearly finished the box of fruit when he came across the lifeless creepy crawler which still had its pincers and venomous stinger in its tail.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Now red-faced bosses at Sainsbury’s, who took the scorpion which was captured in a plastic box from the couple, have launched an investigation.

James made the discovery of the pint-sized predator - which was a few centimetres in length - in the punnet of fruit he picked up from Sainsbury’s store in Wigan, Greater Manchester.

He did not initially spot the scorpion when he bought the blackberries during a shopping trip with his wife, Lynda last weekend.

The couple claim the pint-sized predator could have been transported from Mexico which is where they have been told the blackberries were picked.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

His wife, Lynda, 68, said: “We went do the shopping on Friday afternoon and James was eating them while sat watching the TV.

“He had nearly eaten all of the blackberries when he suddenly exclaimed he had found a scorpion in the box.

“I didn’t believe him at first but then I saw it. It was probably about an inch and three-quarters.

“It was dead which is lucky because James could have been stung if it had been alive. It still had its stinger.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“He also said he could have eaten it. It doesn’t really bear thinking about. It was a bit of a shock.

“I’ve not a clue what we’re going to do with it. We’ve accepted the compensation. There’s not really much Sainsbury’s can do about it.”

The couple, from Worsley Mesnes, have now accepted a £15 compensation offer from Sainsbury’s.

The supermarket has also held its hands up and admitted wrongdoing.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said: “Incidents like this are exceptionally rare and we have strict processes in place to prevent them from happening.

“We are investigating with our supplier and have apologised to Mr and Mrs Green for their experience.

“We have also arranged a gesture of goodwill, which they have accepted.”