Final three Elland Road boxing night brawlers are sentenced

Three more people have been sentenced over 'serious mob violence' during a mass brawl between rival supporters at a boxing event in Leeds.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 28th March 2018, 5:17 pm
Updated Wednesday, 28th March 2018, 5:21 pm
Those involved in the brawl have now all been sentenced
Those involved in the brawl have now all been sentenced

The YEP reported in November last year how 16 men were handed jail sentences totalling more than 20 years over the violent disorder at the event at Leeds United's Centenary Pavilion. The total number of people convicted after the latest hearing is now 22.

Leeds Crown Court heard families had to climb into the boxing ring for safety and other youngsters had to be ushered into a cloak room as violence erupted on February 18 last year. The widespread disruption broke out between rival fans supporting boxers who were opponents in one of the scheduled bouts at the event.

Around 700 tickets were sold for the event in which 11 amateur bouts were to be staged throughout the evening.

Those involved in the brawl have now all been sentenced

There had been an 'exchange of insults' on social media between supporters of rival boxers from Leeds and Wakefield in the run-up to the event.

Organisers were aware of the trouble and efforts were made to separate the two groups on the night.

At the end of the fight the bell sounded and there was incident between one of the boxers and his opponent’s trainer which acted as a 'catalyst' for the violence.

The court heard people pushed forward and chairs were thrown as around 50 people began fighting with each other, including women.

Those involved in the brawl have now all been sentenced

Security guards were powerless to stop the fighting, which lasted around 15 minutes.

Prosecutor Philip Adams said: “The scene was one of total chaos.”

Security staff ushered injured people and children into a cloakroom for safety.

One man was struck on the back of the head and wounded.

Fighting also continued outside the venue.

Much of the incident was captured on CCTV and people took mobile phone footage which was later posted on Youtube.

Those sentenced today were: Jason Brattley, 29, of Lydgate, Burmantofts, jailed for eight months, after pleading guilty to violent disorder.

Toni Hughes, 32, of Farfold Lane, Armley, sentenced to four months, suspended for 18 months, for affray.

Brian Holt, 38, of Stanks Drive, Stanks, sentenced to three months, suspended for 18 months, for affray.