Jealous boyfriend threatened to kill partner with kitchen knife at boozy party

A jealous man who dragged his partner to the floor at a party and threatened her with a knife has been spared custody.

By Nick Frame
Thursday, 30th December 2021, 4:45 am

Malcolm Kellett was "enraged" after spotting what he thought was a flirty WhatsApp message on his partner's phone during the boozy gathering.

Hannah Turner, prosecuting, told Leeds Crown Court that the 38-year-old and his fiancé had been enjoying the party at Melbourne Court, Hemsworth, on the evening of August 22 this year.

The pair have been in a relationship for 20 years which was described as "volatile", with arguments often stemming from jealousy.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Leeds Crown Court.

Ms Turner said Kellett's temper flared when he saw the message and began to argue with his partner, before picking up a kitchen knife and leaving.

He returned 20 minutes later and walked up to the female, dragged her to the floor and called her names before pointing the knife at her saying he was going to stab and kill her.

After other partygoers intervened he then left again but returned ten minutes later.

Read More

Read More
Car criminal found hiding in snooker club toilets after police chase in vehicle ...

He spotted his partner in the garden, dragged her to the ground again and kicked her in the abdomen and pointed the knife at her.

Police arrested Kellett at his home a short time later, and found the knife in the footwell of his car.

He initially denied any wrongdoing but later pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and having a knife in public.

Kellett, of Dunsley Terrace, Wakefield, has one previous conviction for battery.

A probation officer told the court that Kellett had said the reason for returning that night was because he had picked up his partner's phone, and not his own, when he left in anger.

The officer said Kellett, who works as a manager at a Warburton's bakery, admitted that he had been acting "like a bully" and added: "He was forced to look in the mirror and did not like what he saw."

The officer said that Kellett and the victim are still planning to marry.

Judge Christopher Batty said that the admissions over his bullying behaviour had helped persuade him not to send him directly to jail.

He said: "When I walked through that door I had no issue with locking you up. The way you behaved that night was disgraceful, but I have heard an awful lot about you.

"To your credit, there's recognition of how bad some of your conduct has been."

Kellett was given a nine-month jail term, suspended for two years.

The defendant was also ordered to enroll in an anger-management programme.

Judge Batty added: "I really hope we do not meet again. I hope this is a turning point."