'It is clear you cannot control your temper': Domestic violence victim suffered collapsed lung and broken ribs as she was stamped upon by controlling Leeds thug

A 'controlling, jealous and abusive' thug broke his partner's ribs and left her with a collapsed lung after he kicked and stamped on her in an attack at his home in Leeds.

Wednesday, 21st April 2021, 6:00 am

Gary Franks also punched and spat at police officers when they came to arrest him after the shocking violence at the property in Belle Isle.

Franks had only been in a relationship with the woman for seven weeks when the assault took place.

The 35-year-old was jailed for three years, nine months, after pleading guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm, two counts of assaulting an emergency worker, criminal damage and threatening to cause criminal damage,

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Gary Franks was jailed for three years, nine months for attacking his partner and assaulting police officers.

Nicoleta Alistari, prosecuting, said Franks began a relationship with the woman in February last year after chatting to her on Facebook.

Ms Alistari said Franks was "controlling, jealous and abusive" from the beginning and she was frightened of him.

He threatened to harm her and her family if she ever left him.

Read More

Read More
Horsforth murder accused Carl Chadwick appears at Leeds Crown Court over death o...

On March 14 last year he followed her to the toilet while they were socialising at his brother's house.

He spat in her face, punched her twice and tried to bite her.

Ms Alistari said: "He didn't like the fact that she was getting on well and laughing with his brother."

On April 18 he bit her on the forehead and kicked her between the legs as he "felt left out" when the woman began singing and chatting to people as they were socialising with friends.

Franks,of Orion Gardens, Belle Isle, committed the grievous bodily harm offence on April 24 while the couple were staying with his mother and her partner.

They went to bed after spending the evening socialising.

Frank's mother was awoken by the victim screaming.

She went into the bedroom and saw her with blood around her mouth.

Franks then followed the woman out of the room and attacked her at the bottom of the stairs.

His mother dialled 999 and told an operator: "He's bit her to death."

Franks destroyed the victim's mobile phone during the incident and threatened to smash his mother's television for calling the police.

He punched one of the police officers who went to the property to arrest him.

He spat at a second officer as he was being escorted to a police van.

As he was being taken into custody he urinated over the floor of the prison van.

The victim was given morphine at Leeds General Infirmary after suffering fractured ribs and a collapsed lung.

She also suffered serious bruising to her head and body.

He claimed she suffered the injuries by falling down the stairs.

Franks has 23 previous convictions for 38 offences including domestic violence on previous partners.

He was out of prison on licence at the time of the offences.

Ian Brook, mitigating, said Franks pleaded guilty to the offences at an early stage.

The barrister said his client hopes to get help to address his mental health problems and to control his anger while in custody.

Sentencing, Judge Neil Clark said: "It is clear that you are someone who cannot control your temper.

"You initially accepted no responsibility for your shocking and violent behaviour."