That means that Leeds and all of West Yorkshire will be placed into the highest tier of restrictions possible.
What is Tier 3 and what does it mean for Leeds?
- Household mixing is banned anywhere indoors
- Two households can mix in limited circumstances in parks and fields, but only if observing the rule of six
- Non essential shops can reopen following the national lockdown - Tier 3 allows shops to be open
- Pubs, bars and restaurants cannot open their doors - they must operate for collection and delivery only
- People in Tier 3 are advised not to travel outside their area
- Hotels must close and overnight stays outside the local area are not permitted
- Wedding receptions are banned in Tier 3 areas but ceremonies can go ahead with 15 guests
- Funerals will allow up to 30 guests only
- Large sport events are banned from taking place but drive-in events like drive-in cinemas will be allowed
The majority of England will be in Tier 2, where the restrictions mean a ban on households mixing indoors and pubs, and restaurants only able to sell alcohol with a “substantial meal”.
What is the current Covid situation in Leeds?
This has dropped from 439 per 100,000 last week, but the rate in Leeds is still high - so ithe city will still be heading into the toughest Tier 3 restrictions.
Leeds City Council posted on Twitter yesterday: The Leeds covid-19 rate has dropped below 300 and is now at 296 per 100k people, with positivity at 11.8%. The government will announce post-lockdown tiers tomorrow (it's their decision- local councils have no say in it) but meanwhile let's keep on doing this."
What tier are other parts of Yorkshire in?
Leeds is in Tier 3
All of West Yorkshire is in Tier 3
Sheffield and all of South Yorkshire is in Tier 3
North Yorkshire is in Tier 2
Hull and East Yorkshire is in Tier 3
Why is this Tier 3 lockdown being put in place?
Leeds Council Leader Judith Blake said "The government has today (Nov 26) announced that Leeds will move into Tier 3 restrictions after the current lockdown ends. The new restrictions will come into force on December 2.
“Whilst local councils have not been involved in discussions around which tier they will move into, we have been working closely with our partners and communities in Leeds to ensure we are prepared for changes to restrictions and that support is in place that will minimise the impact on our residents and businesses as much as possible.
“I would also like to once again thank the people of Leeds for their patience, diligence and compassion over what has been an incredibly challenging time for the city.
“There is light at the end of the tunnel and if we continue to do all that we can to protect ourselves and each other, we can and will emerge from this crisis together.”
What does it mean for Christmas?
Boris Johnson announced his winter Covid plan this week. It will allow three households - strictly three - to mix for up to five days through December 23 to 27.
There is no suggestion that the Tier changes for different areas will affect the Christmas plans, which are said to apply to all of England equally regardless of the Tier an area is placed in.