This week 70 years ago the retiring Lord Mayor of Leeds and his wife, Sir George and Lady Martin, gifted some eight or nine acres of land to the city to mark their retirement.
The land in question forms part of what is today the Weetwood conservation area. In a letter, Sir George Martin wrote: “After careful consideration, we are of the opinion that the best gist we could make would be some eight acres of land at Weetwood as an open space for all time.
“The city already possesses a fine property in Weetwood Woods but there is no way through to Weetwood Lane. If the city will accept our offer of between and nine acres bordered on the north by the Ring Road and on the west by Weetwood Lane, they will complete a wonderful property.
“In years to come this may be quite as valuable a lung as Woodhouse Ridge is at present.”
The letter adds that when staffed, the estate will make a wonderful addition to the city’s amenities and provide walk without rival in the provinces.”
The city council met on November 10, 1947 to formally approve acceptance of the gift.
In other news, the number of milk-producing cows in the UK stood at 2,782,000, compared to 2,646,000 in 1939.
The average yield, however, was only 545 gallons, against 575 gallons in 1939, although it had increased from 490 in 1941. For comparison, yield was increased to about 824 gallons during the 1970s and today it stands at about double that.
And finally, Leeds residents were put on notice they needed to start saving water or face the introduction of standpipes on streets.
Authorities said there needed to be a saving of 5m gallons of water a day, because the city only had 15 days of water left.