Alex Belfield latest: who is the Voice of Reason YouTuber – and what he said on Twitter about the BBC and arrests
The ex-Radio Leeds presenter says he has been ‘living through hell’ in the past 18 months
In January 2021 a conservative YouTuber who once called a mother of triplets a "slapper" live on air, and recently referred to the women who escaped fines for walking by a reservoir during lockdown as “hotties” returned having gone missing from social media.
Fans of Alex Belfield were left asking where the presenter – who fronts The Voice of Reason on YouTube and was once a presenter for BBC Radio Leeds – had gone, after new uploads from the “home of Free Speech UK” stopped.
In recent days, Belfield has been similarly quiet, but has now shared his side of the story, giving his fans an insight into the real reasons behind his mysterious dissappearances.
So where did he go? And why has he been quiet?
Here is everything we know.
Who is Alex Belfield?
Belfield is a presenter, journalist and entertainer who has been working across radio, TV and print for over 20 years.
His website describes him as “one of the busiest and most respected artistes in British media & entertainment”, and Belfield has broadcast on over 80 radio stations around the world, and secured exclusive front page stories for newspapers like The Sun, the Daily Mirror and the Daily Express.
Belfield was once a presenter on BBC Radio Leeds, where he presented the mid-morning show.
In 2010, Belfield found himself in hot water when he made lewd comments about watching Look North weather presenter Keeley Donovan’s broadcasts at home, which attracted complaints from listeners.
He was strongly reprimanded by BBC bosses and suspended for a day as punishment.
Following his departure from Radio Leeds, Belfield described his time there as "the worst year of my life".
What happened to Alex Belfied?
In January, Belfield appeared to be uncharacteristically quiet on social media, and at one point there had been no new uploads to his YouTube channel for three days.
On Tuesday 12 January, he tweeted the image of a TV displaying the words “OFF AIR” alongside the caption “Free. Speech. Is. Dead.”
So it appeared as if Belfield’s YouTube channel may have been suspended.
On 13 January, Belfield tweeted a message of thanks to his supporters, and said his “incredible lawyers” were “doing amazing work”, and that he would be back “V Soon!”
"The truth always outs in the end & scum sucking pondlife will be held to account,” he added, and claimed “Even Home Office involved” in whatever legal wranglings appear to be going on with the presenter.
The following day, the broadcaster posted another update to social media, in which he said;” Lying c***s who think they’re protected by the corrupt will be found, EXPOSED & brought in front of a judge.”
It appeared as if Belfield was experiencing some sort of legal issue that stopped him posting new video to his channel.
What’s happened now?
A couple of months later, and Belfield is still experiencing issues with those wanting to “silence” him, an 18-month long campaign which he described as a “witch hunt”.
Posting to YouTube on 22 March, Belfield said he had been “living through hell” for the past year and a half, claiming he'd been arrested four times, and had his house raided twice “without a warrant”.
The so-called witch hunt has been orchestrated in collusion with the BBC and Nottingham police according to Belfield, who have extended the presenter’s bail “illegally”.
The presenter divulged that the whole sage began with an e-mail sent to him with the intention of “destroying” him, an “unprovoked” attack by somebody he had “never met”.
He did not confirm the identity of the sender, but said the BBC want him “dead” as he is is their “biggest whistleblower”.
Belfield said in a statement in January he was “completely bound” by lawyers, and is not allowed to state what has happened.