Last-minute agony again as Guiseley are beaten at Dover

James Roberts.James Roberts.
James Roberts.
STRUGGLING Guiseley fell victim to another last-minute goal as they went down 2-1 at Dover Athletic in the National League on Saturday.

Mitch Pinnock struck with moments to go to ensure Guiseley are now deep in relegation trouble.

Guiseley’s starting XI included three debutants including new goalkeeper Luke Coddington, and after three minutes he almost conceded when a fine strike by Ryan Bird hit the post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

One fine effort by the hosts was quickly followed up with another as Mitch Brundle from 25 yards out saw his unstoppable effort fly into the corner of the goal, giving the hosts the lead.

Dover kept up their impressive start and thought they had doubled their lead, a cross found Bird who converted, but the offside flag was up and Guiseley were let off the hook.

After withstanding a lot of pressure, Guiseley should have levelled when another debutant in Harry Flowers headed wide from a Callum McFadzean cross.

While Dover were having more chances, Guiseley could have equalised when Jake Sheppard fired an effort, that clipped the post on the way out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was still time before half-time for Guiseley to go close again, a rebound fell to James Roberts but it was superbly saved by Mitch Walker.

The second half again saw Guiseley creating chances and they would equalise thanks to another wonderful goal as Dayle Southwell netted his first for the Lions with a free-kick.

Dover looked to respond immediately and again had the ball in the net, with Mitch Pinnock celebrating but again it was ruled out.

Pinnock would not be denied though as he beat his man on the wing and fired in.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Guiseley boss Paul Cox said afterwards: “To go a goal down so early and to keep going was encouraging. We both had chances, but it’s another case of in both boxes they took their chances.

“We need to focus on the next game. it was a great goal by Dayle (Southwell). we have brought him in because of that quality.”

It’s now one win in seven for FC Halifax Town after they were convincingly beaten 3-0 at Bromley.

The hosts struck three times – once through the excellent Louis Dennis and twice through Josh Rees – in a devastating nine-minute spell, which Halifax were unable to prevent and to which they had no response.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In National North, Harrogate Town capitalised fully on Salford City’s 2-1 defeat at Brackley to move within five points of the leaders after beating Telford by the same scoreline.

Joe Leesley curled his 18th goal of the season into the top corner on 33 minutes and Simon Ainge’s header doubled the advantage early in the second half.

Mark Beck also tested the crossbar for the home side, before Telford grabbed a 90th-minute consolation through Jordan Murphy.

Bradford Park Avenue shared the spoils in a goalless draw at Nuneaton despite Danny Boshell receiving his marching orders for a second bookable offence.