Guiseley slip to bottom of the league after home defeat by Dragons

Guiseley dropped to the foot of the National League after Saturday's 2-0 loss to Wrexham.

Sunday, 4th February 2018, 11:39 pm
Guiseley manager Paul Cox.

Goals from Chris Holroyd and Shaun Pearson meant Guiseley fell to defeat after former basement side Torquay United defeated Barrow.

Wrexham brought a large travelling support and nearly took the lead minutes in when Marcus Kelly was found in the area, but his shot just lacked direction and went wide.

The Dragons went ahead when a ball over the top found Holroyd, he took the pass and rounded ex-Wrexham keeper Luke Coddington and scored on the angle.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The hosts had few chances during the opening match, though nearly scored when a free-kick was crossed in, there was pressure on Wrexham keeper Chris Dunn, he spilled the pass and Callum McFadzean saw his shot cleared off the line.

Wrexham had further opportunities before the break, Nicky Deverdics on his debut cut inside but his effort lacked power.

The visitors then saw captain Pearson – who impressed throughout – have a header cleared off the line.

Another corner would see Pearson given a free header and this time he planted it into the top corner.

Wrexham should have made it 3-0 just before full time when a cross found James Jennings who saw his shot beat the keeper but three players on the line were able to block the effort.

Guiseley now must go on an impressive run to be able to get out of the bottom four places and next face another side chasing promotion in Macclesfield Town.

This defeat means Guiseley are also yet to gain a victory in 2018 and boss Paul Cox said: “You can tell why Wrexham have the best defensive record, we gave them a soft goal and from then on they looked on top.

“We tried to be on the front foot and at times were but they showed their quality.”

FC Halifax Town’s home clash with Dagenham and Redbridge was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Harrogate Town will travel to Billericay tomorrow night to decide who progresses to the FA Trophy quarter-finals after the teams fought out a 2-2 draw at Wetherby Road.

Rob Swain headed the visitors in front on 11 minutes, but Joe Leesley levelled within seconds, cutting inside from the left wing and curling into the top corner.

After a George Thomson effort was cleared off the line, another spectacular Leesley strike put Harrogate in the ascendancy, before Adam Cunnington pounced from close range to make it all square.

Harrogate’s Terry Kennedy went closest to winning the tie when he hit the post late on.

York City equalled their longest win-less run of the season after conceding an 89th-minute equaliser at Tamworth in National North.

The Minstermen have not tasted victory for three matches after Darryl Knights cancelled out Aidan Connolly’s fourth goal of the season.