Guiseley 3 Dagenham & Redbridge 5: Cheek's hat-trick helps sink Guiseley

Simon LenighanSimon Lenighan
Simon Lenighan
Guiseley, their relegation from the National League already confirmed, went down 5-3 at home to Dagenham & Redbridge last night.

While Guiseley were already down and a play-off place beyond Dagenham & Redbridge’s grasp, the first half was action-packed.

The visitors raced into a two-goal lead with Michael Cheek and Liam Gordon both scoring from close range.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Guiseley got back in it through Alex Purver’s attempted cross that flew into the top right-hand corner and they were level when a clumsy challenge saw the hosts get a penalty.

James Roberts’s effort was saved, but Ellis Hudson knocked in the rebound.

The Daggers went back in front with Cheek getting his second, but a Guiseley corner caused problems and Simon Lenighan was in the right place to score.

Just before half-time intermim manager Sean St Ledger committed a foul in the area and Fejiri Okenabirhie scored from the spot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The second half started with three substitutes being made for the hosts and while the tempo of the game dipped, there were still chances.

John Rooney who was one of the three players who came on, had an effort tipped onto the crossbar from an effort from just inside the area.

Dagenham & Redbridge extended their lead with Cheek completing a hat-trick. After his initial effort was saved the rebound fell to him to tap in, despite being put under pressure by two Guiseley defenders.

Guiseley have one final home game in the National League, against Woking tomorrow.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Guiseley: Coddington, Frempah (Palmer 45) St Ledger, Green, McFadzean, Purver (Nirrenold 45) Harvey, Lenighan, Hudson (Rooney 45) Odejayi, Roberts. Unused substitutes: Green, Haworth.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Nunn, Pennell, Robinson, Howell, Adams (Howells 60) Okenabirhie (Mongoy 87) N’Gala, Bonds, Cheek (Bloomfield 80) Gordon. Unused substitutes: Moore, Sparkes.

Referee: Peter Gibbons.

Meanwhile, FC Halifax Town will take on second-placed Tranmere Rovers at The Shay tomorrow.

Harrogate Town boss Simon Weaver insists his side will not throw in the towel despite their National League North title hopes appearing to be all but over.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A costly 3-0 defeat to Boston United on Tuesday evening, coupled with leaders Salford City’s narrow win at Southport, leaves the Ammies six points clear at the top with just two games left to play in 2017/18.

Town travel to Bradford Park Avenue tomorrow needing a win to keep their slim hopes alive, while Salford simply have to avoid defeat at home to Boston to make sure of top spot.

“It’s not over for us until it is mathematically impossible, and of course we will be going all out to get a win in what is a big Yorkshire derby on Saturday,” Weaver said. “Having said that, I can’t see Salford losing their last two games. They’ve got a big advantage now and credit to them for the run they’ve put together in recent weeks.”

He added: “There was a lot of emotion following the loss at Boston because we all want this [the title] so much and the margins are so fine – we could have ended the night back on top of the table, but it wasn’t to be.

“We can’t let it affect us going forwards though, we need to bounce straight back at Bradford Park Avenue.”