Featherstone Rovers 21 Dewsbury Rams 20: Heartache for Rams as Rovers steal in at the death

A 78th MINUTE drop goal by Danny Craven saw Featherstone snatch their third straight win in a dramatic finish.

Monday, 7th March 2016, 5:10 am
Featherstone match winner Danny Craven.

Rovers recovered from 14-0 down to level at 20-20 before Craven hit the target from 25 yards out after unsuccessful drop goal attempts in the closing stages by Dewsbury’s Paul Sykes and Featherstone’s Anthony Thackeray.

Ben Reynolds had a chance to give the Rams a last-gasp victory when Rovers were penalised from the re-start after Craven’s goal but the scrum-half’s kick from halfway fell short.

Hooker Andy Ellis, making his comeback after taking a career break, led Rovers’ recovery after they had started badly.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Full-back Josh Guzdek put the Rams ahead in the first minute when he scooped up a loose ball after Sykes’ pass was deflected off a player.

Reynolds converted and then kicked an easy penalty to give the visitors an 8-0 lead.

Jack Ormondroyd was held up over the line in a spell of Rovers pressure before Dewsbury struck again when Shane Grady went over and Reynolds goaled.

Ellis made an immediate impact after his introduction from the bench in the 30th minute by sending in Kyle Briggs, who converted his own try.

On half-time, Thackeray and Michael Channing made the opening for Rovers winger Kyran Johnson to cross at the corner and reduce the deficit to 14-10. Featherstone levelled early in the second-half when Briggs cleverly put in Misi Taulapapa.

But Dewsbury regained the lead five minutes later when Jason Crookes forced his way over and Reynolds kicked a touchline goal.

Featherstone hit back again when Briggs, Ian Hardman and Taulapapa set up former Sheffield winger Scott Turner’s first try for the club and Briggs made it 20-20 with a penalty goal before Craven’s late winner.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Johnson, Channing, Taulapapa, Turner; Briggs, Thackeray; Griffin, Craven, Bostock, Cording, Tagg, Ormondroyd. Subs: Davies, Roche, Baldwinson, Ellis.

Dewsbury Rams: Guzdek; Morton, Grady, Crookes, D Grant; Sykes, Reynolds; Groat, Speakman, Hepworth, T Adamson, Hale, Brown. Subs: Tonks, Conroy, L Adamson, Trout.

Referee: Chris Campbell (Widnes).

Attendance: 1,665.