Castleford Tigers 12 Hull 30 - Jason Qareqare shines on debut but it's another Super League defeat for much-changed hosts

For the second successive home game, an early try was the prelude to a heavy Castleford Tigers defeat - their fourth in as many Betfred Super League fixtures.

Friday, 11th June 2021, 11:16 am

Castleford led 4-0 before Hull had been in possession, but the 30-12 final scoreline was a fair reflection of the game overall.

Tigers were much-changed from their Challenge Cup semi-final winning side of five days earlier and gave a debut, on the left-wing, to Kippax Welfare product Jason Qareqare (pronounced Gary-Gary).

He made a remarkable start to his Super League career, scoring with his first touch after just 44 seconds. Not only that, but it was a cracking touchdown, the youngster taking Michael Shenton’s pass - after he had been teed up by Danny Richardson - and weaving past full-back Jake Connor with a lovely in and out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Tigers debutant Jason Qareqare scores with his first touch against Hull. Picture by Ed Sykes/

As in the previous home game, against Leeds, Tigers didn’t have much to celebrate after that, though they did manage a late consolation against 12 men.

They put plenty into it, but looked heavy-legged, their right-side defence had a tough night and they offered very little on attack.

It was a feisty clash, played in a noisy atmosphere and there was a flare-up in the second half when a foul by Josh Reynolds on Oliver Holmes led to a bout of pushing and shoving between the two sides.

Not long after that, the luckless Alex Foster, in only his second game back after long-term injury, was hurt in a dangerous tackle and needed lengthy treatment on the field before being carried off on a stretcher.

Tigers celebrate Jason Qareqare's debut try. Picture by Ed Sykes/

Hull - on the back of a Cup semi-final defeat by St Helens - went ahead after 14 minutes through the first of two tries from their left-winger, Adam Swift.

Mahe Fonua was the creator and Marc Sneyd added the extras for the first of his four goals.

Tigers rarely got into Hull’s red zone and took some poor options when they did, but - aided by a string of penalties - they seemed set to go in at the break all square after Richardson took the two when Jesse Sene-Lefao got caught, illegally, in a Fonua-Chris Satae sandwich.

There were three minutes left in the half, but Hull managed to add a cutting edge to their pressure in that time remaining, Connor making a fine catch from Sneyd’s cross kick and offloading to give Fonua a walk-in on the last play of the half.

That made it 12-6, then three minutes into the second period, Tigers were caught offside near their own line, Hull opted to keep the pressure on and Swift went over again after Sneyd and Connor had linked.

On 54 minutes Fonua scored his second try, from Reynolds’ pass, just about keeping a finger on the ball and with Sneyd converting both from the touchline, to maintain his 100 per cent record, Hull led 24-6.

Sneyd was sin-binned with 10 minutes left, for a professional foul, but Connor forced his way over from close range three minutes later and added the extras.

Tigers managed a late consolation when Liam Watts sent Holmes over, McShane converting, but other than Qareqre’s debut, it was a forgettable night for Cas.

Castleford Tigers: Mata’utia, Olpherts, Foster, Shenton, Qareqare, McShane, Richardson, Martin, Milner, Griffin, Holmes, Sene-Lefao., Massey. Subs Watts’, O’Neill, Hepi, Peachey.

Hull: Connor, Faraimo, Tuimavave, Fonua, Swift, Reynolds, Sneyd, Sao, Houghton, Satae, Savelio, Ma’u, Lane. Subs Scott, Johnstone, Fash, Bowden.

Referee: Robert Hicks (Oldham).

Attendance: 4,000.