Bulldogs have the edge over their old foes Dewsbury

Batley Bulldogs took the Heavy Woollen derby honours on Good Friday with an 18-10 victory over Dewsbury Rams to claim a third success in the Betfred Championship.
Wayne ReittieWayne Reittie
Wayne Reittie

The game was lit up by a spectacular seventh-minute try by Rams winger Dale Morton who intercepted a Batley pass and stormed 90 metres up the slope to dive over.

Paul Sykes was unable to convert.

The Bulldogs drew level after 25 minutes when Dave Scott fed Sam Smeaton and he offloaded for winger Wayne Reittie to dive in at the corner for a well worked try.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Soon after, Dominic Brambani fed Patch Walker and the stand-off slipped a lovely pass to send Day storming through a gap and over for the try.

Walker converted for his 400th point in Batley colours and the Bulldogs led 10-4.

On the stroke of half-time, Dewsbury were awarded a penalty and as the hooter sounded, Sykes hammered over the goal.

An early second half Rams attack saw a wayward pass go into touch from a promising position and from there Batley mounted a sustained spell of pressure.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Rams defence had done well to repel Batley but the pressure finally told on the hour mark when the Bulldogs created an overlap on the left and Jason Crookes dived in at the corner with Walker landing a terrific touchline goal.

Dewsbury hit back with the best move of the match four minutes from time as Sykes produced a lovely runaround move to feed Josh Guzdek and he sent winger Rob Worrincy diving in at the corner.

Dewsbury allowed the resulting kick off to bounce dead and when Sykes’ drop out failed to go 10 metres it allowed Walker to land the simple penalty goal to ensure the Bulldogs earned the bragging rights.

Batley Bulldogs: Scott; Reittie, Smeaton, Galbraith, Crookes; Walker, Brambani; M Ward, Leak, Rowe, Harrison, B Day, J Farrell. Subs: Hemingway, J Brown, Manning, Holland.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dewsbury Rams: Guzdek; Worrincy, Woollard, Hallett, Morton; Sykes, Speakman; Everett, R Ward, Reilly, Walshaw, Spicer, A Brown. Subs: S Day, Ansell, Sheriffe, Trout.

Referee: Tom Crashley (RFL).

Attendance: 1,117.