Yorkshire Carnegie 26 London Scottish 73: Gutsy Carnegie fall to their biggest defeat of campaign

Yorkshire Carnegie suffered their biggest defeat of the season against London Scottish in the Greene King IPA Championship, but managed to secure their second try bonus point of the season thanks to a last-minute try from Toby Adamakin.
Yorkshire Carngie try scorer, Alex Humfrey (left). PIC: George Wood/Getty ImagesYorkshire Carngie try scorer, Alex Humfrey (left). PIC: George Wood/Getty Images
Yorkshire Carngie try scorer, Alex Humfrey (left). PIC: George Wood/Getty Images

Scottish took the lead after just one minute. Carnegie hit back just two minutes later when they capitalised on a Scottish error. After winning a penalty on the Scottish 22 they opted to kick to the corner for a line out and, from the rolling maul, Alex Humfrey was able to get the ball down and Joe Carlisle added the conversion to bring the scores level.

Scottish nudged ahead again after six minutes, then extended the lead on 11 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After a scrappy period, that saw both teams give away penalties, Carnegie reduced the gap when Tom Varndell stretched high to intercept the ball and race clear for a try under the posts, his fourth for the club. Carlise landed his kick to make it 14-21.

In the 23rd minute Dan Barnes ran through from 22 metres out for the bonus-point try and from here the visitors took control, running in another two tries before the break and building a healthy lead at 14-42.

Scottish started the second half in similar style to the first with a try inside the opening two minutes and another moments later.

The London side then turned up the pressure, but Carnegie were able to deal with the series of pick and drives close to their own line and eventually the home side earned a penalty. But Carnegie were unable to make the most of the reprieve and soon the score was 54-14.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was no let up for Phil Davies’ side and a couple more tries were added before Carnegie were next on the scoresheet, Joe Green scoring next to the posts, but Kieran Davies unable to convert.

Scottish added two more tries but Carnegie showed true grit and Tobi Adamakin touched down in his fourth appearance for the club with Davies kicking the conversion to wrap things up.


Hull got the better of Yorkshire rivals Otley, running out 20-14 winners to move up to sixth in the National Two (North) table.

The visitors kicked two early penalties, centre Gavin Stead on target to give Otley a 6-0 lead – but it didn’t last long.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Winger Mike Adlard raced in on 13 minutes for a try which fly-half Simon Humberstone converted, and the 7-6 scoreline stood until the break.

Humberstone added a penalty on 57 minutes to extend Hull’s lead, but replacement forward Joe Graham crashed over as Otley edged into a narrow 11-10 lead.

Once again though, it didn’t last long. Humberstone’s second penalty put Hull back in front at 13-11, and when he converted centre Steve Johnson’s try with four minutes left their 20-11 lead looked enough for the win.

Ben Smith pulled back a late penalty for Otley to secure a losing bonus point, but they ran out of time to challenge for the win.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wharfedale’s run of form came to an end with hosts Hinckley winning 17-7.

The reality was that Hinckley’s superior weight and power was always likely to hold sway on a very wet pitch. Dale started well, but from their first attacking line-out Hinckley opened the scoring with a converted try after only four minutes. An almost identical play, midway through the first half, saw Hinckley stretch their lead to 14-0 at half-time.

Wharfedale continued their unrelenting attack after the break. Eventually, after the Greens had numerous times come up just short, George Hedgley crossed the line. Blakeney-Edwards’ conversion brought Dale within seven points, and with five minutes left, it seemed as if Wharfedale’s fitness may have the last say and secure a draw. But, in a cruel repeat of a previous visit to this ground, Hinckley denied Wharfedale even a losing bonus point when they landed a long penalty with the final act of the game.