Yorkshire Amateur League: Rep' outfit rues missed opportunities

THE Yorkshire Amateur League representative side were left to rue missed chances as they were held to a goalless draw in the Jerry Hildersley Trophy.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 5:30 am
Sam Bradley shoots for Farsley Celtic Juniors in the Premier Division leaders' 3-1 victory over second-bottom Rodillian on Monday evening. PIC: Steve Riding
Sam Bradley shoots for Farsley Celtic Juniors in the Premier Division leaders' 3-1 victory over second-bottom Rodillian on Monday evening. PIC: Steve Riding

The annual game, which sees Yorkshire Amateur face off with London-based Amateur Football Combination, is one of the most prestigious events in the amateur football calendar.

The format of the fixture means that a draw sees the holders retain the trophy. And with a 0-0 stalemate, Football Combination did just that in a game dominated by defences with limited chances for both sides.

While the competition has been going for over 50 seasons, the Under-21 tournament is very much in its infancy.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

With Football Combination victorious in the debut year last campaign, Yorkshire Amateur needed a win to lift the trophy for the first time.

An own goal gave London a half-time lead which was soon doubled before a goal from Stanningley’s Tom Stewart reduced the deficit.

Combination restored their two-goal advantage with Farsley Celtic Juniors’ Joe Firth scoring what proved to be a consolation as London ran out 3-2 winners.

In the Hancock Cup, Stanningley Reserves will play Ealandians Reserves in the final later this month.

That’s after Stanningley, who were runners-up in 2013, overcame Farsley Celtic Juniors Reserves 3-2.

Jake Dalley fired Stanningley ahead only for Farsley to comeback through a penalty from Steve Wells and an overhead volley from Chris Manning.

An own goal restored parity before Jake Dalley got his second to seal the win.

In the Championship, St Nicholas took a big step towards the league title and a spot in the top division with a 2-0 victory away to second-placed Beeston Juniors.

Roy Fogarty scored 10 minutes from time before Daniel Fuller doubled the advantage in stoppage time.

The result leaves St Nicholas two points clear at the top with three games in hand over their nearest rivals.

Leeds Medics and Dentists Reserves missed the chance to move ahead of Beeston Juniors into the promotion places as they were thumped 3-0 away at Alwoodley Reserves.

Chris Powell, Hassan Abrar and Dan Whincup were all on target for Alwoodley, who move up to eighth. Old Batelians remain four points above the relegation places as they were beaten 3-1 by Beeston St Anthony’s.

In what was an open game, Beeston took the lead through a Tony Garth header.

A double from Lee Nutton sent them on their way, while Robert Johnson pulled a goal back for Batelians late on.

Leeds Independent stay rooted to the bottom after they were beaten pretty convincingly, 6-2, at home by fourth-placed Shire Academics.

Alex Cookson fired in a four-timer for Shire.

Drighlington took a huge step towards the Division One title with a 3-1 win over Garforth Rangers.

Garforth took the lead through an early Paul Hustwitt penalty only for Josh Sheldrake to level the game for Drighlington a minute later with the first goal of his brace.

Brett Thompson also netted for Drig’, who are five points clear with three games in hand over nearest rivals Calverley United.

Second-placed Calverley were stunned by Leeds Medics and Dentists 3rds as they lost 1-0. Alex Monk hit the winner for Medics, who moved up to ninth and are now six points from the relegation places.

Wheelwright moved off the bottom as they were victorious in a nine-goal thriller against St Bedes. They remain five points adrift despite being 5-4 winners thanks to two goals from Jonny Beverley plus one each from Jordan Williams, James Waite and Dan Stevens.

A double from Jamal Nash, coupled with goals for Jordan Northin and Mark Hayward were in vain for the visitors.

A brace for Glenn Austwick helped Grangefield to a 3-2 victory at home to Amaranth while Wortley moved away from the bottom two with a comfortable 5-0 victory over Dewsbury Rangers, helped by a Cody Doyle hat-trick.

In Division Two, leaders Gildersome Spurs beat Medics 4ths 2-1 to move five points clear. With Farsley Celtic Juniors Reserves in cup action, Spurs took advantage with Aide McCormack and Ben Keedy both scoring in the win.

Sandal Wanderers beat Morley Town Reserves 3-2 courtesy to a double from in-form striker Tom Hart while Huddersfield YMCA crushed Old Centralians 7-2, helped by a hat-trick for Tom Parker and double for Oliver Dunne.

In Division Three, Norristhorpe enjoyed an 11-1 thrashing of Middleton Park.