Power cut leaves Harrogate Town frustrated again

Harrogate Town game on Tuesday was postponed.Harrogate Town game on Tuesday was postponed.
Harrogate Town game on Tuesday was postponed.
Harrogate Town and Carlisle United will be hoping it is a case of third time lucky after Tuesday night’s rearranged League Two clash was called off due a power cut.

A local outage affecting the Wetherby Road area left the EnviroVent Stadium and a number of surrounding properties without electricity and in complete darkness.

With the Northern Powergrid unable to give any indication as to when their supply of electricity might be restored, match referee Seb Stockbridge was forced to postpone the fixture at 7.05pm, shortly after the time (7pm) that the game was scheduled to have kicked-off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The two sides originally met at the EnviroVent Stadium on December 29, but that contest was abandoned after just 10 minutes when referee Martin Coy decided that areas of the pitch had started to freeze, leaving the surface unsafe to play on. Harrogate led their high-flying Cumbrian visitors 1-0 at the time.

“It is so frustrating. We’re extremely annoyed. This is the second time we’ve had Carlisle here and the second time they’ve had to go home early,” Town’s managing director Garry Plant told the Harrogate Advertiser.

“We’ve got new faces in the squad raring to go, the players have prepared for the game, you build up to it all day and then you’re left feeling as flat as the proverbial pancake because of a power outage.

“The match officials left it as long as they could to make the decision, but with the Northern Power Grid unable to give any indication as to when the power might return, they were left with no choice. They couldn’t wait any longer.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

As many as 2,500 properties were initially said to have been affected when electricity supply to the Wetherby Road area was disrupted at around 5pm.

Town were informed by the Northern Powergrid at 7.15pm that they were one of approximately 70 locations still without power and advised that it could be as late as 10.30pm before there would be any update on the situation.

And, given that the circumstances which led to the game being called off are beyond the club’s control, Plant is certain that the Sulphurites will face no sanction from the Football League.

“There’s no danger of that, we’re not at fault” he added.

“This situation is out of our control. It’s a general problem in the area, it’s not specifically an issue with our stadium. The house next door’s lights are out. I believe that the care home over the road has had to use its emergency generator.

“There is nothing wrong with our floodlights or the electrics within the ground.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.