Non-League: Lions edge closer to safety with vital point

Guiseley picked up another point as they stretched their National League unbeaten run to four games after drawing 0-0 away at Boreham Wood.

Monday, 20th March 2017, 5:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:08 am
Man of the match Jonathan Maxted.

Guiseley manager Adam Lockwood said: “I knew this would be a tough game, so this is an important point for the side and we go again against Gateshead on Tuesday.”

Boreham Wood came into this match full of confidence after beating Dover Athletic 5-0 during mid-week and they nearly took the lead when a corner found Ricky Shakes who saw his initial effort saved by man of the match Jonny Maxted. The rebound again fell to the striker but it was blocked on the line.

Guiseley’s Jordan Preston, after scoring last weekend during the win against Aldershot, nearly added to his tally when a Jake Cassidy flick-on found him, but his first touch just took the ball past him before he could get off his shot.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wayne Brooksby, netted a treble for Bradford Park Avenue.

Femi Ilesanmi should have made the visitors pay when given room in the penalty area but he angled an effort just wide to the left-hand post of Maxted’s goal.

A short corner saw Kevan Hurst free on the edge of the area but his shot which looked set to go in, took a deflection and safely went out of the play for the hosts.

Guiseley had to defend bravely against the likes of Shakes with plenty of corners coming in during the second half.

Guiseley’s chances were few and far between during the latter stages, with striker Michael Rankine seeing a weak header towards goal as their best chance.

Wayne Brooksby, netted a treble for Bradford Park Avenue.

There was also concern for Elliot Green who went down while defending in his own area, he had to be taken off on a stretcher.

This led to seven minutes of time being added on, but there were no real opportunities created by either side and the deadlock was not broken.

The result lifted the Lions to 16th in the table, seven points clear of fourth-bottom Woking who occupy the final relegation place.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Woodards, Stephens, Devera, Paine, Ilesanmi, Andrade (Williams 73), Reason, Davis, Shakes. Unused substitutes: Hitchcock, Goodliffe, Keita, Joseph.

Guiseley: Maxted, Green (Wells 90) Williams, Palmer, Brown, Hatfield, Hurst (Rankine 80), Rooney (Asamoah 32), Walton, Preston, Cassidy. Unused substitutes: Boyes, Logan

Referee: Dean Treleaven (Portsmouth)

Former Guiseley forward Wayne Brooksby scored a hat-trick as Bradford Park Avenue boosted their Conference North survival hopes with a 3-1 win at AFC Telford. Brooksby struck on 35, 79 and 90 minutes to lift Avenue four points clear of the drop zone and level on points with Telford.

Harrogate Town kept their play-off hopes alive with a 2-1 home success against top-five hopefuls Chorley.

Joe Leesley got the ball rolling with a 13th-minute penalty, with Simon Ainge (38) netting the other and Jack Sampson replying for the Magpies as Town climbed up to ninth.

FC Halifax Town dropped out of the play-off places as they suffered a 1-0 home defeat at the hands Gloucester City.

Joe Hanks with the winner from a 75th-minute penalty.

Evo-Stick League

Farsley Celtic remain in the box seat for the First Division North title and promotion to the Premier Division after beating Bamber Bridge 5-3 at Throstle Nest on Saturday.

Adam Clayton’s seventh-minute opener and Paul Walker three minutes later, gave the Celts the perfect start, but they had to wait until Richard Marshall’s 54th-minute penalty for a third.

Alistair Waddecar (56) pulled one back for Bridge, before Jordan Deacey (63) got Farsley’s fourth.

Stuart Vasey (74) again reduced the gap but Lewis Nightingale (78) made it five for farsley before Vasey (90) completed the scoring.

Second-placed Lancaster City remain a point behind Celtic having played a game more, following their 1-0 win over Tadcaster Albion, who slipped further towards danger.

Ossett Town are up to fifth after Jason Yates (63) sank Colwyn Bay at Ingfield.

Brighouse Town were denied all three points after Joshua Draycott equalised for Kendal Town with just three minutes to go.

Benjamin Wharton (20) had earlier given Town the lead.

Goole were also denied late on by a 90th-minute Mossley equaliser after Sam Colbear (69) looked to have earned them all three points.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic lost 1-0 at home to Halesowen Town and Whitby Town drew 0-0 down at Stafford Rangers.

NCE League

Jordan Turner’s hat-trick kept leaders Pontefract Collieries on course for the Divsion 1 title with a thumping 4-0 win over Hall Road Rangers.

Turner struck after 35, 50 and 75 minutes, with Christopher Jackson bagging the other (64), as Colls turned on the style against their third-placed rivals.

It means Pontefract stay a point ahead of second-placed AFC Emley with a game in hand on their championship rivals who beat Knaresborough Town 2-0 thanks to a Thomas Brennan brace (28 and 33).

Elsewhere, Eccleshill United put six past Worsbrough Bridge Athletic without reply, with Matthew Waller netting a hat-trick (42, 65, 70), along with Matthew Mathers (18), Joel Singleton’s own goal on the half-hour and with Charlie Flaherty (80) completing the rout.

Ryan Poskitt’s 90th minute penalty earned visitors Glasshoughton Welfare a 3-3 draw at Hallam.

Welfare had trailed 2-0 before levelling through Poskitt (37) and Andrew Horbury (61).

Eli Hey struck in the first minute as Campion won 2-0 at Teversal, Jacob Buchanan with the second goal on the stroke of half-time.

Mid-table Selby Town saw off Westella and Willerby thanks to Wayne Brook’s 54th-minute winner, but Yorkshire Amateur conceded three first-half goals on the way to a 4-2 loss at Penistone Church.

James Rothel (76 and 81) gave Ammers hope, but Scott Whittington sealed it for Church with three minutes to go.

Rock-bottom Nostell Miners Welfare lost 2-0 at home to Winterton Rangers.

In the Premier Division, second-placed Pickering Town missed the chance to go top after a goalless draw at bottom side Retford United.

Thackley, in fifth, went down 1-0 at AFC Mansfield, while mid-table rivals Liversedge and Hemsworth Miners Welfare fought out a goalless draw.Athersley Recreation enjoyed a 2-0 home success over South Yorkshire rivals Parkgate thanks to goals by Jack Briscoe (3) and Kai Hancock (69).

A second-half blitz saw Bridlington Town beat Rainworth Miners Welfare 6-1.

Chris Jenkinson (19, 70), Brett Agnew (56), Andrew Norfolk (59,82) and Jake Day (80), for the third-placed home side.