Non-league footballer Dan Wilkinson dies after collapsing on pitch at Brighouse

A NON-LEAGUE footballer has died after collapsing on the pitch during a cup match in West Yorkshire.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 13th September 2016, 1:41 pm
Updated Thursday, 15th September 2016, 4:05 pm
Daniel Wilkinson
Daniel Wilkinson

Daniel Wilkinson, a defender for Shaw Lane AFC, collapsed an hour into the match at Brighouse Town’s St Giles Road stadium.

The league’s official website said the 26-year-old player had “suffered a suspected heart attack” and was treated by medics for more than 30 minutes before being taken to Calderdale Royal Hospital in Halifax.

In a statement posted on their Facebook page, the Barnsley-based Northern Premier League Division One South side said Mr Wilkinson “passed away after collapsing on the pitch”, during the game on Monday night.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The player, who had started his career with Hull City, had also turned out for Harrogate Town, North Ferriby United, Scarborough Athletic and Goole.

He was part of a Hull youth team that won the Youth Alliance North East Conference in 2009-10.

Shaw Lane chairman Craig Wood said in a statement: “The club would like to thank everyone for their heartfelt messages and thoughts that we have received throughout the night.

“There are no more words at this time.”

Former Hull City player Curtis Woodhouse, who managed Mr Wilkinson at Goole, paid tribute to him on Twitter.

He said: “Really can’t believe the news about Dan Wilkinson, I managed Dan at Goole and he was a very good player and a really nice lad. RIP brother.”

Hull City also paid tribute, tweeting: “Everyone is saddened by the passing of our former player Daniel Wilkinson last night. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and all at Shaw Lane at this sad time. Rest In Peace Daniel.”

Mr Wilkinson’s death comes five years after a 15-year-old died during a football match at what is believed to have been the same ground. Huw Thatcher suffered a head injury during an under-15 game against Brighouse Town Juniors in March 2011.