District Cups: Carlton net comeback win to book semis spot

Chris Barrow saves from Danny Maw during Saturday's Leeds & District Saturday Senior Cup encounter between 'Hunslet Club and East End Park. PIC: Steve Riding
Chris Barrow saves from Danny Maw during Saturday's Leeds & District Saturday Senior Cup encounter between 'Hunslet Club and East End Park. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

A STIRRING second-half comeback sent Carlton Athletic into the semi-finals of the Leeds & District FA Senior Challenge Cup through a 5-4 victory at home to West Yorkshire League rivals Beeston St Anthony’s.

Matty Moon fired Saints ahead and the Beeston lead was doubled through a Stephen Crawford penalty but Carlton halved the deficit before the break.

Goals from Liam Clark, Luke Coates (2) and Danny Maw (2) steered East End Park to victory over hosts Hunslet Club and a place in the Leeds & District Saturday Cup semi-final. PIC: Steve Riding

Goals from Liam Clark, Luke Coates (2) and Danny Maw (2) steered East End Park to victory over hosts Hunslet Club and a place in the Leeds & District Saturday Cup semi-final. PIC: Steve Riding

The West Yorkshire League leaders then banged in another four without reply before Beeston hit back themselves through Jack Smith and Crawford’s second but to no avail.

The rapid Carlton nap hand means the defending West Yorkshire League champions will now take on the Yorkshire Amateur League’s Wortley in the semi-finals with a double from Anees Younis plus goals from Andrew Payne, Charlie Thompson and Reece Fennell ultimately sending Athletic through.

Wortley held their nerve to progress 4-3 on spot kicks at fellow Yorkshire Amateur side hosts and former cup holders Alwoodley after a 3-3 draw. Wortley sit second in the Yorkshire Amateur League Championship with Alwoodley eighth in the Premier and Alwoodley raced into a 2-0 lead through strikes from Carl Hasty with a 25-yarder and Damir Mulavdic after a mazy dribble.

But Wortley pulled a goal back through Ryan Sharrocks with Paul Reason then heading home Jordan Hey’s cross for the equaliser.

Ryan Calrk takes on Ryan Grant. PIC: Steve Riding

Ryan Calrk takes on Ryan Grant. PIC: Steve Riding

Mulavdic fired Alwoodley back ahead from the penalty spot with just two minutes left but Wortley equalised within 60 seconds through a back-heeled effort from Josh Proctor, taking the game to penalties with Wortley then holding their nerve to progress.

West Yorkshire League high flyers Leeds City came a cropper as Premier Division rivals and visitors Whitkirk Wanderers recorded a 3-2 victory to set up a last-four clash with East End Park WMC.

A brace from Akeel Miller supported by a Les Nelson strike sent Whitkirk into the semis. East End Park romped to a 5-2 win at fellow West Yorkshire League Premier Division outfit Hunslet Club.

In the Heavy Woollen District FA Wheatley Cup, Tingley Athletic battered hosts Overthorpe Sports Club 10-0 as Scott Austin slammed in a five-timer.

Elliott Walker added a hat-trick with Jack Kanyama and Daniel McMahon also on target. Littletown were 5-0 winners at Norristhorpe thanks to a Joe Jagger four-timer and a Callum Wheatley strike.

Gildersome Spurs Old Boys squeezed through 7-6 on penalties at Dewsbury Rangers Old Boys after a 1-1 draw.

Conor Firth fired Spurs ahead before a Dewsbury equaliser took the game to spot kicks.

Hartshead saw off higher-division visitors, Wyke Wanderers, 5-3 despite Wyke strikes from Waqas Iqbal, Josh Ludford and Rahuf Mak.

Woodkirk Valley also obliged 4-1 at Morley Town AFC Reserves with goals from Callum Thorpe, Josh Ward and James Tesseyman in the first half before Ryan Thackray netted after the break.

Morley Town AFC were felled 3-1 at Fox & Hounds Batley while Morley Town AFC Development Squad were steamrollered 9-0 at Crackenedge.

Overthorpe Sports Club powered past visiting Morley Amateur 8-2.


In a weekend dominated by cup action, Knaresborough Town recorded their first league win since August with a 2-1 success at Robin Hood Athletic in the West Yorkshire Premier, writes JAMIE WOODHOUSE.

Town led at the break through Jack Carr’s ninth-minute goal and Paul Atkinson’s 25th-minute strike but the visitors were forced to hang on for the win as Dan Bridges pulled one back for Robin Hood. Knaresborough saw the job through to move up to 14th.

Aberford Albion took advantage of the cup schedule to reclaim the ever-rotating top spot in Division One through a 4-2 success at Featherstone Colliery.

Finishing fifth last season and missing out on promotion, Colliery have failed to recover so far this time around and are now second-from-bottom and have not tasted league victory since August.

Kirk Deighton Rangers are now up to sixth after their 5-1 win at struggling Howden Clough. A brace from Charlie Yates and goals from Dan Slater, Roman Neal and Joe Wilks completed the comfortable win for Kirk Deighton.

Elsewhere, Leeds Modernians secured their first back-to-back wins of the campaign with their 2-1 triumph over Wetherby Athletic.

A clash of the Division Two heavyweights pitted Campion Reserves against Glasshoughton Rock. Glasshoughton, who have the led the way for much of the season’s early months set their sights on Campion, who now occupied that spot.

Neither side were able to find that decisive breakthrough as the game ended 1-1. Jamie Simpson put Rock ahead at the break, but Campion rescued a point to stay top, while Glasshoughton remain fourth.

In one of the standout results of the season so far, Swillington Saints travelled to faltering Knaresborough Celtic and recorded a jaw-dropping 12-0 victory. Shane Gillman was on target five times. Matt Marshall netted a hat-trick, while David Bell, Aaron Lee, Jack Witcher and Danny Wiltshire also got in on the act.

Old Centralians ran out 4-2 winners over Kellingley Welfare to go level on points with them in ninth, while bottom-club Brighouse Old Boys sank further after their 6-1 loss at Ripon City.


GOLCAR United move six points clear at the top of the West Riding County Amateur Football League as they defeated Toller 5-3, writes THOMAS RITCHIE and BEN WOODCOCK.

Goals from Toller’s Kamran Khan and Taweed Ahmed meant Toller trailed just 3-2 at the interval but Golcar pulled away as Buddy Cox and Alex Hallam struck braces with Josh Lang also on target. Steeton Reserves blew away PFC in the second-half to emerge 6-3 winners. PFC led 2-1 at the interval but a Will Knight brace and strikes from Jack Richmond, Greg Hudson, Ryan Newell and Josh Debenham helped Steeton to a convincing victory.

Lower Hopton advanced to the Premier Division cup semi-finals as they defeated Lepton Highlanders 1-0 in a tight contest. After going into the break deadlocked, a second-half strike from James Heeley proved to be decisive as basement side Lepton Highlanders put up a strong fight against second-placed Lower Hopton, but were ultimately unable to prevail.

In the Wakefield League, Crofton Sports returned to the top of the Premier Division table with a 4-1 victory over Ryhill. Fourth-placed Halton Moor drew 1-1 with third placed Snydale Athletic.

In Division One, a ten-goal thriller eventually finished 5-5 between seventh-placed Waterloo and ninth-placed Thorn Tree United.

Elsewhere, a double for Scott Borill sealed a 3-0 win for Thornes against AFC Sheaf, despite the sending off of Nicholas Gill for Thornes. In Division Two, goals from Jack Anderson and Jack Kerracher sent Howden Clough three points clear at the top.

Dewsbury Westside remain within touching distance of second place after a 4-0 win on the road at FC Broadway. Thornhill United edged out New Carlton 3-1, courtesy of goals from Tristan Kennedy and both Jack and Samuel Haigh.

In the League Cup, Garforth WMC were chinned 4-3 on penalties by visiting Crofton Sports Reserves following a 3-3 draw.

Beechwood Santos also won 3-1 at Nostell Miners Welfare in the third round of the Jim Callaghan Cup.


WEST YORKSHIRE League high-flyers Ilkley Town breezed to a 9-0 success at Addingham in the Wharfedale & District FA District Cup.

Thomas Fleming, Joe Hendrie and Lee Spires all hit doubles with Nicholas Hewitt and Thomas Bull also netting.

Rawdon Old Boys obliged 5-0 at Ventus Yeadon Celtic thanks to a double from Harry Fryer plus goals from Oliver Nightingale, Phillip Stansfield and Thomas Whitfield.

Pool won 2-1 at Ilkley Town Reserves with an Ilkley strike from Alistair Adams in vain while Otley Town edged out visiting Baildon Trinity Athletic 3-2 after extra time following a 2-2 draw. Route One Rovers went through thanks to a 4-3 verdict at home to Bramhope courtesy of two goals from Danyal Yasin plus one each from Shoab Iqbal and Usman Hussain.

In the Harrogate FA Whitworth Cup, Boroughbridge blitzed visiting Hampsthwaite United 10-4 with Christopher Simpson, Jake Fletcher, Joe Dorkings and Joel Fireman bagging four, three, two and one respectively. Knaresborough Town beat visiting Kirk Deighton Rangers 2-1 last Wednesday evening. In the Barkston Ash Challenge Cup semi-finals, Sherburn White Rose recorded a 3-1 success at Kippax with goals from Stuart Liddle, Daniel Middleton and Jack Fenton.

In the Wakefield & District FA Cyril Craven Challenge Cup, Horbury Town were 2-1 winners at Royston Cross in the quarter-finals.

A semi-final against fellow West Yorkshire League outfit Hall Green United awaits after Hall Green won 2-1 at Red Lion Alverthorpe thanks to goals from Clifton Firth and Sean Jesson.

Altofts stormed into the semi-finals with a 5-0 triumph at home to West End Terriers. Altofts will face sole remaining Wakefield League side Durkar in the semi-finals after Durkar’s 3-1 victory at Fieldhead Hospital.