Leeds United: Barton denies Redfearn claims over move
Joey Barton has taken to social media to deny suggestions from Neil Redfearn that he could have moved to Leeds United in the summer.
Former Whites head coach Redfearn said in an interview on Monday night that he had made contact with people close to Barton over a potential transfer, with the midfielder expressing an interest in a switch.
However, Barton disagreed with the suggestion that he could have moved to Elland Road, seemingly aiming a broadside at the infamously chaotic regime of Italian owner Massimo Cellino in the process.
He wrote: “Not calling Neil a liar but he never spoke directly to me. Or anyone close to me to the best of my knowledge.
“Leeds is a huge club and of course if they had stability off the field, it could have been of interest last year.
“But with current issues away from the field, I couldn’t afford to join a club and waste energy on nonsense.
“Wish Leeds United and Neil all the best in the future. Hope that clears it up.”
The 33-year-old was one of four players named by Redfearn as potential signings - the other three were Matty Phillips, Jason Shackell and Charlie Adam.
Redfearn had said: “I was consulted at the end of the season by (chairman) Andrew Umbers about possible signings and additions to the side. I came up with a list.
“People like Joey Barton and Jason Shackell and Matty Phillips, that was at QPR, you know, all good players. Adam as well, that (assistant head coach Steve Thompson) knew from Stoke City, Charlie Adam.
“These were all players that were interested. At that time we contacted them through different sources.
“They were genuinely interested in coming to play for Leeds United, which is not difficult to sell, because it’s a top club.”