Jack Higgins heads Farsley Celtic into FA Trophy first round

Farsley Celtic  goalscorer Jack Higgins.Farsley Celtic  goalscorer Jack Higgins.
Farsley Celtic goalscorer Jack Higgins.
FARSLEY CELTIC earned their place in the first round proper of the FA Trophy thanks to a hard-earned 1-0 victory at Workington.

Jack Higgins headed home the winning goal shortly after the half-time break and then the Celts held on for victory despite a strong challenge from their Cumbrian hosts.

Workington could have been ahead as early as the fifth minute – Scott Allison found Matty Clarke but with a free shot at goal, he fired over the bar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Farsley thought they had taken the lead on 14 minutes when Nathan Cartman turned the ball home after an intricately-worked free-kick routine, however it was ruled out for offside.

The deadlock was broken on 49 minutes as Higgins rose the highest to head home a cross and put Farsley ahead.

The hosts were unlucky not to equalise on 59 minutes when Dav Symington’s low strike hit the bottom of the post before being cleared away.

Symington then fired in a shot which skimmed the upright on 75 minutes, before Scott Allison missed a guilt-edge chance with a clean shot at goal nine minutes later.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors then almost increased their advantage when Dave Syers hit the woodwork, before Chris Atkinson’s follow-up was just wide of the post.

There was still time for Luke Parkin to be denied by keeper Jim Atkinson after he was put through one-on-one, before the final whistle blew.

Guiseley fell at the first hurdle in the Trophy for a third straight season after Telford thumped the hosts 4-0 at Nethermoor.

The visitors would open the scoring when Guiseley failed to properly clear a corner, Zak Lilly collected the ball and drilled in a powerful effort into the right-hand corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Telford continued on the front foot with Ellis Deeney striding forward and seeing his effort go just wide of goal.

The Bucks would double their lead and Aaron Williams effectively ended the game as a contest, when he collected a pass in the area and turned smartly and hit a shot across the goal and past the dive of Marcus Dewhurst.

It was soon 3-0 when Guiseley pushed players forward and Williams had time and space to pick his spot, from a quick counter-attack.

Moments later it was 4-0, when Marcus Dinanga collected a pass and took advantage of the free room in-front of him, to complete a pleasing day for the visiting side and a miserable one for the Lions.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After the match Guiseley joint-manager Russ O’Neill said: “Obviously the result and scoreline is very disappointing. When you look at the way the game went away from us, it showed we have a lot to work on.”

Guiseley will be looking for an urgent improvement based on this result and next face Leamington away from home in the National League North on Saturday.

Elsewhere in the FA Trophy third-round qualifying, Bradford Park Avenue won 2-0 at Gloucester City.