Guiseley and Farsley Celtic battle hard to earn key draws

Ten-man Guiseley came back to Yorkshire after gaining a plucky point in a goalless draw at Brackley Town in the National League North yesterday.
Farsley Celtic's Danny Ellis.Farsley Celtic's Danny Ellis.
Farsley Celtic's Danny Ellis.

This was always going to be a tough test for the Lions as they faced a side who had not lost a regular league game at home in over a year.

The home side had the first chance when Shane Byrne volleyed a pass into a dangerous area and Gareth Dean made contact but he saw his header go over the bar and out of play.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was good build-up play between Gabriel Johnson and Aaron Martin, but the latter just couldn’t get his touch past Brackley Town’s keeper Danny Lewis who was able to collect the ball and stop the attack.

Guiseley striker Aaron Martin.Guiseley striker Aaron Martin.
Guiseley striker Aaron Martin.

There were few more chances during the first half, with neither side fully able to take control of the match, with the hosts edging possession and this was a similar theme during the remaining 45 minutes.

Brackley had a fantastic opportunity to get the opening goal when Dean forced Marcus Dewhurst into a smart save, the ball fell to Tendai Daire who, from a few yards out, just couldn’t get the necessary contact on the ball and it drifted wide.

The best chance for Guiseley came late on when Johnson turned quickly and passed to Lee Shaw who was in a good position but his effort lacked any real power and was easily saved.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With time was running out for a winner, the task for Guiseley was made even harder when Martin was sent off for a second yellow, the Lions though were able to see the game out and leave with a point.

Guiseley  joint manager Marcus Bignot.Guiseley  joint manager Marcus Bignot.
Guiseley joint manager Marcus Bignot.

After the match Guiseley joint-manager Marcus Bignot said: “This is a good point for us, it was always going to be a test and one we have done well in.

“It keeps our unbeaten run going away from home and gives us something we can build on going into the next matches.”

Guiseley are back in league action on Saturday when they play at Darlington.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Farsley have failed to win in five fixtures, but captain Danny Ellis rifled in a fantastic 90th-minute equaliser from 40 yards to secure a 1-1 draw with Telford United.

Matty Stenson opened the scoring for the visitors in the second minute, but Jack Higgins also volleyed against the bar just for the Celts before the half-hour mark.

Bottom-of-the-table Bradford Park Avenue lie 14 points adrift of safety after a 2-0 loss at Altrincham on Saturday.

Josh Hancock netted in the first minute, with Avenue having conceded during the opening five minutes in three of their last four matches. Victory was sealed just before the interval when Jordan Hulme, who crossed for Hancock’s goal, sent in another delivery for James Jones to double the advantage.