Farsley Celtic still chasing first victory of season after defeat at Fylde

Farsley Celtic manager Adam Lakeland.Farsley Celtic manager Adam Lakeland.
Farsley Celtic manager Adam Lakeland.
Farsley Celtic are still waiting for their first victory of the season after going down 2-0, as second-placed Fylde maintained their 100 per cent start to 2020/21.

The hosts forged in front on 55 minutes when the ball fell kindly for Nathan Shaw in the box and he rifled home.

Adam Lakeland’s men almost hit straight back when Adam Clayton’s header thudded against an upright after he was teed up by Danny Ellis and Tom Allan should have done better when he rose to meet a cross from the latter but directed the opportunity straight at Fylde keeper Chris Neal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Victory was sealed, however, in the 86th minute when substitute Ben Tollitt drove a free-kick into the bottom corner.

Dan Atkinson’s penalty save spared Bradford Park Avenue defeat against a Chorley team that had lost their last nine league contests.

The former England under-17 international conceded the spot kick after clattering into Connor Hall in the 77th minute of a 0-0 stalemate at Horsfall Stadium.

But Atkinson quickly redeemed himself when he dived to his right to deny substitute Lewis Reilly from 12 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Avenue’s best chances saw Matt Urwin keep out a first-half effort from Jamie Lyons following an inviting Jordan Windass delivery and the latter also fired straight at the Chorley keeper from the edge of the box just past the hour, before Matty Downing drove narrowly wide at the death.

York City’s home clash with Kettering was postponed with the club’s period of self-isolation having only ended yesterday following a positive Covid-19 test within the squad.

After a member of Guiseley’s squad displayed coronavirus symptoms following a positive test in his family, the Lions’ fixture against Brackley at Nethermoor was also called off as a precautionary measure.


It proved a tough weekend for our local teams in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy with Brighouse Town, Frickley Athletic and Pickering Town all exiting the competition.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Frickley took an early lead in their tie at Hyde United through Kegan Everington’s goal on four minutes, but it was downhill from there as Kingsley James and James Hollins netted for the hosts on 30 and 50 minutes respectively in a 2-1 victory.

Pickering crashed to a 4-1 home defeat against Runcorn Linnets with Iwan Murray netting a hat-trick for the visitors.

Harry Jessop netted Town’s consolation goal just after half-time.

Goals from former Guiseley and Farsley Celtic player James Walshaw and Reece Styche were enough to steer Buxton to a 2-0 win at Brighouse.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Tadcaster Albion moved up to eighth place in the Northern Premier North West Division following their 3-0 victory at Kendal Town.

Ofoegbu Ifeanyi opened the scoring on 45 minutes and further goals from Bailey Thompson and Simon Russell sealed the points.

Liversedge moved into the second round of the FA Vase thanks to a 5-2 home victory over Newcastle Benfield.

Nicky Boshell netted a brace for Liversedge and the other goals came from Oliver Fearon, Kevy Tarangadzo and Joe Walton.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Harrogate Railway were knocked out of the competition – going down 2-1 at 1874 Northwich with Jacob Robertson scoring the Rail’ goal.

There was no luck either for Yorkshire Amateur as they were beaten 3-0 on penalties after their game ended goalless at Jarrow.

In the Northern Counties East League Premier Division, third-placed Garforth enjoyed a 3-1 victory at Handsworth while fourth-from-bottom Knaresborough Town hit back to earn a 1-1 draw against Goole AFC.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.