Away-day delight as Kaine Felix fires Guiseley past title-chasing King’s Lynn

AWAY-DAY specialists Guiseley have still not lost on their travels since October following an excellent 1-0 win at title hopefuls King’s Lynn in the National League North yesterday.

By Tom Feaheny
Sunday, 15th March 2020, 4:25 pm
Kaine Felix.
Kaine Felix.

Kaine Felix grabbed the only goal of the game and ensured the Lions extended their unbeaten run to 11 games on their travels in all competitions.

King’s Lynn knew they would return to the top of the National League North table with a victory and they made a bright start with Adam Marriott forcing Brad Wade to save well with his legs.

Guiseley took the lead with just over half an hour on the clock. The dangerous Felix intercepted the ball and rounded the keeper before placing the ball into an empty net.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Farsley Celtic's Jimmy Spencer.

Marriott kept on attacking for the hosts and collected a through-ball and was again one-on-one with Wade, but he took a touch and then misjudged his angle, firing narrowly wide.

A quickly taken free-kick from Brad Nicholson found Felix with time to drop his shoulder and run towards goal before shooting against the outside of the post.

Guiseley would come close again with just under 10 minutes left on the clock, substitute Lee Shaw saw his shot from outside the area palmed away by Town keeper Alex Street.

Time was running out for the hosts and Marriott would get one last chance. He span in the area but he missed the target by some distance.

The full-time whistle was met with cheers from the away support and anger from the home players with Michael Clunan sent off at the end.

Lions’ joint-manager Marcus Bignot was delighted after the game. He said: “It was an excellent performance and result. From start to finish we were a threat, facing a good side.

“Everybody will have seen how much that win means for us all now.

“The goal Kaine has scored shows what he brings to this side, the quality he has. I was a bit surprised this game went ahead with all that has happened. Once we knew it would we were fully focused on the job at hand.”

Farsley Celtic fell behind twice at Darlington before running out 4-2 winners in an entertaining contest.

Darlington forged in front just before the quarter-hour mark when Jamaican international Omar Holness skipped past outrushing keeper Josh Barnes and rolled the ball into the empty goal.

Dave Syers levelled moments later when he was gifted a tap-in following an horrendous mistake by home net-minder Chris Elliott.

Early in the second period, Holness was denied as Dylan Cogill headed off the line, but the Quakers were back in front on 49 minutes when Adam Campbell converted from the penalty spot.

Parity was restored midway through the half when Jimmy Spencer volleyed in from a Syers delivery.

After the lively Holness had another effort disallowed for offside, Farsley then led for the first time on 71 minutes when Syers followed up to net after Will Hayhurst’s free-kick had been pushed on to the crossbar by Elliott.

Spencer went on to see a header cleared off the line and victory was sealed with an 83rd-minute header from Adam Clayton following a Luke Parkin free-kick.

Bottom-of-the-table Bradford Park Avenue failed to rack up a third straight victory going down 2-0 at home to Curzon Ashton.

In the National League, FC Halifax Town slipped to a 1-0 defeat at home to struggling Ebbsfleet United.

Elsewhere, Tadcaster Albion went down 4-2 at home to leaders on their return to action at the i2i Stadium after the floods in the BetVictor League North West Division.