Millions of homeowners are risking disaster this Christmas- with unswept chimneys, loose roof tiles and dodgy electrics creating health risks for millions

Friday, 18th December 2020, 11:19 am
Updated Friday, 18th December 2020, 11:47 am

A nervous 30 per cent fear their lights could be a fire hazard, with a further 21 per cent not sure if their electrical wiring is up to safety standards.

And one in 10 (10 per cent) said their Christmas lights were at least eight years old.

Almost half (48 per cent) said they don’t know how often their chimney should be swept, with a third (32 per cent) admitting theirs had never been cleaned.

Furthermore, Almost four in 10 (39 per cent) adults did not know that blocked chimneys can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A further one in four (26 per cent) said they would not be able to detect the signs of this deadly issue.

And 45 per cent do not check for slipped or missing tiles from their roof.

Carl Goulding from MyBuilder said: "It's been a long year and we all want to enjoy a stress-free Christmas, so avoiding a festive disaster is vital.

"Making your home safe for Santa is a fun way to ensure it's safe for everyone all year round - and all you need is the help of a quality tradesperson."

Keeping Santa safe

In a spoof of the Government’s Covid-19 ‘hands, face, space’ message, MyBuilder.com has launched a ‘Roof, Chimney, Lights’ campaign to help remind homeowners to make their place safe for the ‘big man’.

The 90-second alternative Christmas message is part of the ‘Know Your Home’ campaign, aiming to educate the nation in how to keep their house up to scratch.

Three top tips for keeping your home safe over christmas.

1. The easiest way to check your roof for issues is to pop up into the attic during the day and check for any light coming through any gaps in the tiles - if you see any, contact a roofer.

2. If you have a fuel-burning stove you should get your chimney cleaned at least once a year to make sure there are no dangerous blockages.

3. Don't overload your plug sockets or leave Christmas lights on overnight to avoid the risk of fire - if you're worried about your wiring, find an electrician to check things out.