Met Office issues thunderstorm warning for whole of Yorkshire next week
Yorkshire has been told to brace itself for potential thunderstorms which could lead to flooding at the start of next week.
The Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning for the whole of the UK, which is in place for all of Monday and Tuesday (August 10 and 11).
There is "significant uncertainty in location and timing" of the thunderstorms according to forecasters, who have warned of flooding.
The yellow weather warning means there heavy rain could cause flooding, disruption to transport and power cuts.
The heavy rain will come off the back of what is expected to be the hottest weekend of the year, with temperatures expected to reach more than 30 degrees on Friday and Saturday (August 7 and 8), potentially reaching 37 degrees in London.
The yellow weather warning says:
- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded quickly, with damage to some buildings from floodwater, lightning strikes and large hail.
- Where flooding or lightning strikes occur, there is a chance of delays and some cancellations to public transport.
- Spray and sudden flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and increased chance of accidents.
- There is a slight chance that power cuts could occur and other services to some homes and businesses could be lost
- There is a small chance of fast flowing or deep floodwater causing danger to life
Editor’s note: first and foremost - and rarely have I written down these words with more sincerity - I hope this finds you well.
Almost certainly you are here because you value the quality and the integrity of the journalism produced by The Yorkshire Post’s journalists - almost all of which live alongside you in Yorkshire, spending the wages they earn with Yorkshire businesses - who last year took this title to the industry watchdog’s Most Trusted Newspaper in Britain accolade.
And that is why I must make an urgent request of you: as advertising revenue declines, your support becomes evermore crucial to the maintenance of the journalistic standards expected of The Yorkshire Post. If you can, safely, please buy a paper or take up a subscription. We want to continue to make you proud of Yorkshire’s National Newspaper but we are going to need your help.
Postal subscription copies can be ordered by calling 0330 4030066 or by emailing [email protected] Vouchers, to be exchanged at retail sales outlets - our newsagents need you, too - can be subscribed to by contacting subscriptions on 0330 1235950 or by visiting www.localsubsplus.co.uk where you should select The Yorkshire Post from the list of titles available.
If you want to help right now, download our tablet app from the App / Play Stores. Every contribution you make helps to provide this county with the best regional journalism in the country.
Sincerely. Thank you.