Until now the batteries have been blamed for catching fire as they are recharged or spontaneously exploding. Such is the safety concerns that dangerous hoverboards were banned before Christmas and many airliners have banned them and other devices from being taken on aircraft. The rechargeable batteries are widely used in many appliances such as laptops, smartphones and cameras because they are lightweight but store a lot of energy.
Video - Stanford scientists develop first lithium-ion battery that shuts down before overheating
The world's first lithium-ion battery that shuts down before overheating, then restarts immediately when the temperature cools has been developed.
By The Newsroom
Monday, 11th January 2016, 1:55 pm
Monday, 11th January 2016, 1:59 pm