Warning after lit firework put through letterbox

Warnings have been issued about the potentially fatal consequences of misusing fireworks after an explosive was posted into a flat in Leeds.

Friday, 25th October 2013, 1:03 pm
l

Firefighters were called to Briarmains Road in Birstall at 9.30pm on Thursday after the firework was pushed through the letterbox of a first floor property.

Watch manager Robin Ferguson, from Morley fire station, said: “The flat was empty, but the smoke alarm had activated, alerting a resident in the flat above.

“We had to force entry to the flat, which was full of smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We cleared the smoke and called the police, who secured the scene.”

He added: “On this occasion no-one was injured, but the potential to cause serious injury or death from a silly stunt like this is a significant one.

“This incident also demonstrates the importance of having a working smoke alarm.”