Northern Rail say cancellations will increase due to coronavirus
Cancellations on Northern services are likely to increase today (Thursday) due to increased staff absence, the rail operator said.
Northern urged customers to check before they travel as more staff are likely to be off work due to the coronavirus.
It said they had a "robust plan in place" for cleaning trains, with litter cleared throughout the day and surfaces cleaned daily.
A spokesman said: "On-board all of our trains, and at stations where facilities exist, there is soap and hot water available in our toilets for customers to follow NHS advice to wash their hands for 20 seconds. If you come across a toilet with no soap, please alert a member of staff immediately."
Northern reemphasised NHS advice on protecting people from the spread of coronavirus, which is as follows:
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
The spokesman added: "Please check before you travel via our app and website. On Twitter, @northernassist will provide up to date information."