Loving tributes to dead Leeds taxi driver LATEST

A taxi driver has died after his vehicle was hit by a stolen car while waiting to pick up a fare.

Tributes flooded in after private hire driver Mohammed Yousaf, 49, was fatally injured in the smash in Argie Avenue, Burley, Leeds, at 11.30pm on Saturday.

The family of the Pakistan-born father of four daughters and one son have been left devastated. Close relatives are flying in from Pakistan.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

His widow, Shanaz, 43, said: “I knew something was wrong when I couldn’t speak with him. I called him at around half eleven but got no answer. He always makes sure he can speak with me at that time as I go to bed then. Then my cousin at the taxi firm called telling me there had been an accident and asking me to go to hospital.”

She added: “He didn’t deserve this, he was such a good person and didn’t do anything bad to anybody and now his life has been cut short. He was just doing his job.”

Mr Yousaf, worked for Royal Cars taxis and was fatally injured when his Skoda Octavia car was struck by a black BMW 3 Series as it turned in Argie Avenue. Both vehicles were extensively damaged, Mr Yousaf was thrown out of his vehicle. The BMW was stolen on June 2.

Tonight Radio Asian Fever, is running a special two hour tribute show to Mr Yousaf who was a regular contributor with his poetry.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Before moving to Harehills he attended the Makkah Mosque in Hyde Park, Leeds. Today its imam Qari Asim said: “I remember him well, he was always smiling. He was a very approachable person. Very much in touch with his inner self he was a person of great reflection.”

Businessman Abid Hussain, who knew Mr Yousaf for years, said: “He was very hardworking. Very passionate about his family and children’s education. He supported his daughters and son in every way and wanted them to flourish. They and his brothers are devastated.”

“He spent most of his life in Hyde Park. He was such a bubbly, nice fellow, always smiling. He loved Potwari [Asian Punjabi dialect] poetry and wanted to preserve that heritage.”

Last night a 23-year-old man was in custody arrested in connection with the crash and a second man from the BMW was being sought by police who appealed for witnesses.