LiveLeeds news LIVE: Police at Crown Point Shopping Centre after 'armed masked men with machete raid Superdrug'
Three armed men raided the Superdrug store in Crown Point Shopping Centre this morning (Friday).
Police were called at 10.49am today with a report that three men, armed with weapons, and wearing dark clothing had entered the store at the complex in Junction Street.
They caused damage inside the store.
It is not yet known if anything was stolen.
Nobody was hurt.
Superdrug remains cordoned off and police are speaking to witnesses at the scene.
Any who witnessed the incident or saw the men leaving the scene is urged to contact police straight away on 101, quoting log number 468 of 23/04/21.
Leeds news LIVE: Police at Crown Point Shopping Centre after ‘armed masked men with machete raid Superdrug’
Last updated: Friday, 23 April, 2021, 14:05
““I saw a guy holding a machete"
Security guard Sheraz Iftikhar was manning the shop next door and witnessed the incident.
He said: “I saw a guy holding a machete, wearing a balaclava.
“He told someone inside to hurry up. At that point I came back in, closed the shutters and made sure the staff were safe.
“We’ve had it happen here, Boots got robbed last year. It’s happening more and more, it seems like a regular occurrence.”
Police at the scene of incident at Crown Point Shopping Centre
Police are guarding the scene on an incident at Crown Point Shopping Centre in Leeds.
Our reporter at the scene has been told masked men armed with a machete raided Superdrug.
Leeds firefighter and friend running 10K a day for charity during Ramadan
Leeds mum inflicted shocking injuries upon her three-year-old son and left out bottle of bleach hoping the child would drink it
A woman admitted inflicting horrific injuries to her three-year-old son because she "resented being a mother".
Stephanie Hirst to leave BBC Radio Leeds show
BBC Radio Leeds presenter Stephanie Hirst is leaving the station.
Stephanie, who joined the station in 2018, confirmed the news on Facebook.
She told RadioToday: “Thank you to the BBC for allowing me to live out a childhood dream of working for the corporation.
“I’ve worked alongside some of the most talented and wonderful people, who have helped me grow as a broadcaster. For that I will be eternally grateful.”
Her last show will be today (Friday), 2pm-6pm.
Stephanie joined BBC Radio Leeds to host mid-mornings in 2018 but has more recently been presenting the afternoon slot.
Fans said they were “gutted” on Stephanie’s Facebook page.
One said: “Will really miss listening to you on an afternoon. I only started listening during lockdown and I have to say you helped get me through shielding and some tough months.”
Another listener said: “Gosh this is a shock and big loss for Leeds!”
While another added: “Aw Steph, I will really miss listening to you on my drive home from work. Was gutted when I heard it was your last week.”
Police sweeping the park in Harehills after a 16-year-old boy was stabbed
Petrol station robbery
As of 10am police are also at a petrol station in York Road following a robbery.
Police have confirmed the incident was a robbery but more information is pending - keep following for updates.
The incident is not linked to the stabbing of a 16-year-old boy in Harehills.
Pictures from the Harehills scene still in place this morning
Harehills Park police cordon: Teenager found after being stabbed in shoulder
A teenager was seriously injured in a stabbing in Harehills last night.
The 16-year-old man was found with a serious shoulder injury and taken to hospital by ambulance.
He is continuing to receive treatment, and his injuries are not life threatening.
The victim reported being in the park with a male friend, also aged 16, when they were supposedly approached by a large group of black and Asian males who attacked them. The friend received minor injuries consisting of bruising.
A cordon is currently in place in the park for examination.
Detective Inspector Michael Herbert, of Leeds District CID, said: “The victim has received a very significant injury and we are currently working to establish the circumstances surrounding this incident and to identify those responsible.
“We would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or who has seen this large group of males in the vicinity of the park either at the time of the attack or in the period leading up to it.
“We are liaising with our colleagues on the local neighbourhood policing team who will be maintaining an increased presence in the area to reassure the community.”
The full West Yorkshire Police statement said: “Police are appealing for information after a teenager was seriously injured in a knife attack in Leeds.
“At 8.50pm last night (21/4) police were called to Harehills Park, in Coldcotes Avenue, Harehills, after the victim, a 16-year-old male, had been found nearby with a serious injury to his shoulder.
“He was taken to hospital by ambulance and is continuing to receive treatment. His injuries are not life threatening.
“The victim reported being in the park with a male friend, also aged 16, when they were approached by a large group of black and Asian males who attacked them. The friend received minor injuries consisting of bruising.
“A scene remains in place in the park to undergo forensic examination and specialist searches.
“Anyone with information is asked to contact Leeds District CID via 101 quoting crime reference 13210197088 or online via www.westyorkshire.police.uk/101livechat
“Information can also be given anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111”
The Bank of England has announced its intention to open a northern hub in Leeds
England’s central bank intends to significantly enhance its staff presence across the country and said it intends to locate its new hub in Leeds which will operate in tandem with its nearly 300 year old headquarters on London’s Threadneedle Street.
The Yorkshire Post understands the restructure could see policy decisions made from the Leeds hub and that the Bank is actively considering having one of its deputy governors based in Yorkshire on a full time basis.
A spokesperson confirmed the news saying that Leeds was its preferred location owing to the city’s strong financial services sector, its transport links and the talent pool available in the area.
No information is available yet as to the precise location and number of jobs that the hub will entail for Leeds.
However the Bank’s chief operating officer Jo Place is to lead a review of its geographical footprint, a process commissioned by its governors and court of directors.
It will consider aspects such as the number of staff involved, recruitment models, and the timescales for delivery.
“Due to a fire next to the track between Leeds and Wakefield Westgate the line is blocked.
“Services running through these stations will be cancelled or delayed by up to 20 minutes, with disruption expected until 5.30pm.”
Woman taken to hospital after fire broke out in retirement flat
A woman was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in her retirement flat in Leeds.
It happened in the bathroom of her Acre Court home in Acre Road, Middleton, at about 7.20pm on Tuesday, April 20.
Two crews from Hunslet and one from the Leeds station attended.
A fire investigation officer was also present.
The woman suffered smoke inhalation a was taken to hospital by ambulance.
A West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service spokesman said: “Fire in bathroom. Two hose reels, Four breathing apparatus and positive pressure ventilation used.
“One elderly lady suffered smoke inhalation, oxygen therapy administered by fire service personnel and casualty transferred to hospital by ambulance.
“Smoke detection installed and working.
“Two appliances from Hunslet and one from Leeds attended along with fire investigation officer.”
Boris Johnson welcomes withdrawals from European Super League
The Prime Minister has welcomed the announcements by English football clubs of their planned withdrawals from the proposed European Super League.
Boris Johnson tweeted: “I welcome last night’s announcement.
“This is the right result for football fans, clubs, and communities across the country. We must continue to protect our cherished national game.”
Super League considering next steps after England’s ‘big six’ confirm their exit
The dust is still settling after English clubs bowed to supporter pressure and reduced the controversial plans for a breakaway Super League to rubble.
On a dramatic Tuesday night Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea all confirmed they intended to withdraw from the project.
In response to their departures, the Super League announced early on Wednesday morning it is considering “appropriate steps to reshape the project”.
It said in a statement: “Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure put on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations as was demonstrated today by a court decision to protect the Super League from third party actions.
“Given the current circumstances, we shall reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project, always having in mind our goals of offering fans the best experience possible while enhancing solidarity payments for the entire football community.
“The European Super League is convinced that the current status quo of European football needs to change. We are proposing a new European competition because the existing system does not work.
“Our proposal is aimed at allowing the sport to evolve while generating resources and stability for the full football pyramid, including helping to overcome the financial difficulties experienced by the entire football community as a result of the pandemic.”
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin welcomed the withdrawal of the English clubs from the planned breakaway league.
“I said yesterday that it is admirable to admit a mistake and these clubs made a big mistake. But they are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game.
“The important thing now is that we move on, rebuild the unity that the game enjoyed before this and move forward together.”
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said the club “regret the anxiety and upset caused by the proposal” while Arsenal apologised for their “mistake”.
Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea were a little more prosaic in announcing their withdrawals with short statements.