Part of this amazing complex still exists. Many people will have passed the castellated frontage on Cardigan Road, Headingley but few perhaps realise that in its heyday it was a zoo, called Leeds Zoological and Botanical Society.
A so-called 'Million Act' church, built with money from the Government directly after the Napoleonic War. It feared there might be a revolt and one of the ways of controlling the population was to get them into church.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The Moot Hall was built at the beginning of the 17th century as a meeting place for the justices of the town. It was also used to administer relief to the poor, flog vagabonds and determine the paternity of illegitimate children.
In 1964, some 300,000 people were said to hold investments with Leeds Stock Exchange. In 1973, it became part of the London Stock Exchange. It finally closed in 1990 after the London Stock Exchange carried out a cost review.
Originally the home of the Stanhope family, Horsforth Hall was built in 1699. It was a grandiose house and as such was meant to be a statement of wealth.
When it was built, it was the largest Methodist chapel in existence. When the church organ was installed in 1827, it was described as 'the organ which cost 1,000 and 1,000 members', because it divided the congregation.
St James's was unusual in that it was an octagonal church. It was so close to Leeds Parish Church it had no parish boundary, meaning it was informally known as the 'church without a parish'.