Leeds homes: This is how to bid on council homes in Leeds - and when new homes are advertised

Each week, Leeds Homes advertise Council and Housing Association homes across the city that are registered for customers to bid on.

Friday, 28th May 2021, 11:56 am
Updated Friday, 28th May 2021, 12:34 pm

The listings run from Wednesday to Monday, giving everyone signed up a chance to buy or swap homes with those registered.

Read More

Read More
934 bids on one Leeds council house as senior councillor calls for end to 'Right...

Who can apply?

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Leeds Homes bidding - how it works.

Anyone who is 16 years old and over can apply for housing when they register an account on the website.

You have to complete their social housing application, which can be filled out online.

If you have previously shown unacceptable housing related or anti-social behaviour, then this may affect your chances of being rehoused.

When are new homes advertised?

New properties appear on their website every Wednesday, and the bidding process closes the following Monday at midnight.

The association also promotes ‘Fast Track’ properties, which are houses that have been advertised previously but are yet to be allocated to people.

They are added to the website any day during the bidding cycle, and are advertised for at least one day.

It is recommended that you log in daily to see if ‘Fast Track’ properties have been added.

When is the next cycle?

The next cycle starts on Wednesday June 2, and finishes the following Monday on June 7.

The current week finishes next Monday.

What are my housing options?

There are many housing types to choose from.

Leeds Homes will be able to tell you which is most suitable for you through their ‘options wizard’, which asks you a series of questions to find out the property most convenient for your needs.

The options include:

Mutual Exchange

Social Housing

Mortgage rescue

Sheltered housing

Supported accommodation

Private rented.

How can I bid?

After making an account, you should be able to log on and view suitable properties to bid for.

You can now place three bids on council homes in a week, which is the same amount as on housing association properties.

For further guidance on placing bids, head over to their website, where you can watch a helpful video.

The association also allows you to place bids via SMS, or by calling (0113) 222 4413.

After this, you receive a text to confirm your bid has been recorded and your latest position on the shortlist.

If they cannot be recorded, Leeds Homes will automatically reply by text and explain where to go from there.

Bids can be placed via the telephone line 24/7.

What size and type of property can I bid for?

Entitlement to bedrooms is based on the number of people in the household and the age/gender of any children.

Children under the age of 16 and of the same gender are expected to share, as are couples over the age of 16.

Extra rooms can be allocated when people have part time access to children at least twice a week.

Leeds Homes also allow two bed flats for two adults on the sample application but who are not partners.

You will not be able to bid on a house that exceeds your assessed needs.

How can I contact Leeds Homes?

Their phone number is: (0113)2224413

Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday 9am-5pm, Wednesday 10am-5pm

How long will it take to get rehoused?

Based on previous lettings, which have taken place over the last five years, the Social Housing Picker will calculate an average number of weeks based on the Council Ward Area.

Can I swap my home with somebody else?

Mutual exchanges could be the fastest and easiest way for you to find a new house.

You can register with www.houseexchange.org.uk , which helps you find properties in Leeds and the rest of England.

Housing Association tenants will need to register a separate application on Leeds Homes.

What happens when I’ve found a swap?

It is noted that you should check out the home before you swap into it.

Once a mutual exchange is agreed, approval should be gained from landlords.

A mutual exchange request form needs to be filled out by Housing Leeds tenants and returned to the local housing offices.

Support the YEP and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news and the latest on Leeds United. With a digital subscription, you see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.