Pensioners married in heart-warming wedding ceremony at Leeds nursing home

A 75-year-old Leeds man left partially paralysed by a life-threatening stroke has married  his long term sweetheart at a Burmantofts nursing home.

By Mark Lavery
Sunday, 20th September 2020, 6:00 am
John and Mona Bassett after their wedding ceremony
Picture: Simon Hulme
John and Mona Bassett after their wedding ceremony Picture: Simon Hulme

John Bassett and Mona Oldroyd, 73, tied the knot at Green Acres care home on Friday (Sept 18).

The wedding was due to take place last month, but had to be postponed after a care home resident contracted Covid-19.

Mrs Bassett said: "He is wonderful. He is the kindest, most generous man you could wish to meet."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Newlyweds John and Mona Bassett pictured with Green Acres care home staff Paul Ratcliffe and Norma Bruce. Picture: Simon Hulme

The low key wedding ceremony was witnessed by Green Acres staff members Paul Ratcliffe and Norma Bruce.

Mr Ratcliffe said: "All at Green Acres are highly delighted for John and Mona.

"In the midst of the pandemic, the wedding lifted everyone and it was heart-warming to see staff and residents lining the corridor to get a glimpse of the happy couple."

Mr Ratcliffe said the wedding ceremony took place in the porch area at the care home as residents watched from a lounge window.

Newyleds John and Mona Bassett. Picture: Simon Hulme.

Family members had to stay socially distanced on the driveway outside the home.

Great grandmother Mrs Bassett, of Bramley, said the couple met 15 years ago when she worked behind the bar at the former Rose and Crown pub on Stanningley Road, Armley.

They moved in together a year after meeting and lived together in Bramley until January this year when Mr Bassett suffered a stroke.

Mr Bassett, who worked as a garage erector at Pudsey Concrete, was rushed into Leeds General Infirmary after suffering a life-threatening bleed on his brain.

The right hand side of his body has been left paralysed and he has lost the majority of his speech.

Mr Bassett was in hospital for around three months before being moved to a care home at Drighlington and then on to Green Acres two months ago.