Leeds Trinity shopping centre evacuation 'caused by overheated fridge' at McDonald's

An overheated fridge set off a fire alarm at McDonald's in Leeds city centre, which led to an evacuation at Leeds' Trinity shopping centre.

Monday, 25th September 2017, 12:47 pm
Updated Wednesday, 27th September 2017, 11:12 am

Shoppers were evacuated from the city centre facility's stores, including its Everyman Cinema during a screening, at around 1pm yesterday (Sunday).

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The precaution was taken after a fire alarm sounded at the McDonald's restaurant, in Briggate close to the shopping centre, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed today (Monday).

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the fire alarm was raised after a fridge overheated at around 1.15pm.

It triggered the fire alarm at the shopping centre, which led to hundreds of people being evacuated.