Leeds restaurant boss is fined over hygiene

THE FORMER owner of an Indian restaurant has been fined for a string of hygiene offences after its kitchen was found to be covered in grease, dirt and debris.

Friday, 15th July 2016, 7:09 am
Updated Friday, 15th July 2016, 12:04 pm

Inspectors found Amaan’s Kitchen, on Chapel Hill, Morley, to have a “complete disregard” to food safety after the inspection in February.

Food preparation areas, equipment, utensils, appliances, walls and floors were covered in filth, putting potential customers at risk of contamination, environmental health officers from Leeds Council said.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise


Hand washing facilities for staff were “inadequate”, and officers found no evidence of them being used. In addition, the staff toilet had no hot water or hygienic drying towel.

Raees Ali, who ran the restaurant at the time of the inspection, pleaded guilty to five offences at Leeds Magistrates’ Court this week and was fined £2,000, ordered to pay £1794.58 in costs and a £120 victim surcharge.

The restaurant closed following the inspection.

Leeds Council’s executive member for environment and sustainability, Coun Lucinda Yeadon, said: “Food safety laws are there to protect us whether we’re eating out or dining in. So, business owners need to be on top of their game and we as customers need to be checking and asking owners about their food hygiene rating.”

Ali had also failed to register as the new food business operator as required to by law.

The restaurant also didn’t have a food safety management system in place, and fire and gas safety issues were also highlighted.

Coun Yeadon added: “There are thousands of food businesses registered in Leeds but unfortunately there are a minority that fail to recognise or understand their responsibilities when it comes to food safety.”