Leeds Grand Theatre smoke logged after cellar blaze

FIREFIGHTERS have tackled a blaze at the Grand Theatre in Leeds which left parts of the building heavily smoke-logged.

Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 8:55 am
Updated Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 9:07 am
The Grand Theatre on New Briggate, Leeds

The blaze was reported in the cellar of theatre, shortly before 3,30 this morning, in an area used to store batteries.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service brought in two pumps, ventilation fans and six sets of breathing apparatus. Three thermal image cameras were used to locate the seat of the blaze.

A fire spokesman said the building was heavily smoke logged, with some smoke in the main auditorium.

The theatre is expected to open as usual for this afternoon’s matinee performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, starring X-Factor winner Joe McElderry.