Gunshot killed Leeds man while he sat in car- inquest

A Man shot as he was sitting in his car died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen, an inquest opening heard.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 9:09 am

Ali Hussain, 33, was shot in his stomach when his car was parked near Pasture Road, in Harehills, on Monday, March 9, of this year.

The opening of his inquest at Wakefield Corner’s Court heard he managed to get out of his car and stumble through the doors of a nearby supermarket.

However he was later confirmed dead at hospital.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

DCI Stephen Snow, leading the investigation, said: “The circumstances are that at approximately 9pm on Monday, March 9, emergency services were called to a supermarket on Markham Avenue, Harehills, Leeds, following a report that a man had entered the shop asking for assistance having been shot.

“Paramedics and police arrived and Mr Hussain was rushed to the Leeds General Infirmary where, despite medical intervention, he was pronounced dead shortly after 10pm.”

DCI Snow said a provisional post-mortem examination showed Mr Hussain died a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

He added that six people have been charged in relation to the murder.

West Yorkshire Coroner David Hinchliff said the inquest opening had been delayed as a solicitor representing one defendant had asked for a defence post-mortem examination to be carried out.

He added: “I will now adjourn this inquest generally pending the further processes that the police have to go through and I will issue as requested both a burial order and a fact of death certificate.”

In the aftermath of the shooting DCI Snow, said that Mr Hussain’s family were “understandably devastated at losing him in such sudden and violent circumstances”.

The inquest into his death will resume later this year.

On the same day two men appeared in court charged with offences surrounding the death of Mr Hussain.

The two men are accused of assisting an offender and perverting the course of justice in relation to his death.

No pleas were entered at the hearing at Leeds Crown Court yesterday and the case was adjourned until April 14.