FULL TIME: Leeds United 2 Bristol City 2: Whites fight back to claim point in breathless clash at Elland Road

NEARLY: Adam Forshaw was one of three players to almost grab all three points for Leeds United in the final minutes of a thrilling 2-2 draw at home to Bristol City. Picture by James Hardisty.
NEARLY: Adam Forshaw was one of three players to almost grab all three points for Leeds United in the final minutes of a thrilling 2-2 draw at home to Bristol City. Picture by James Hardisty.
Have your say

LEEDS UNITED fought back from being 2-0 down to take a 2-2 draw in another breathless game against Championship visitors Bristol City at Elland Road.

City drew first blood when Famara Diedhiou stabbed the ball home into an unguarded net after 'keeper Felix Wiedwald missed a punch to a Hordur Magnausson long throw in the 11th minute and another Magnusson throw led to the Robins doubling their lead just five minutes later through Bobby Reid.

Leeds looked down and out but Pierre-Michel Lasogga then gave United hope when converting a Pablo Hernandez cross with 18 minutes left and substitute Kemar Roofe amazingly drew United level just eight minutes later.

United then went all out for the winner and came within inches of getting it when Lasogga hit the crossbar with a header in the final minute of added time.

The added physical presence of Caleb Ekuban in a new 4-4-2 created Leeds a chance in the fifth minute when the striker played in winger Stuart Dallas whose strong shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Frank Fielding.

But poor goalkeeping from Wiedwald then allowed the Robins to take an 11th-minute lead as the German 'keeper failed in his attempts to punch clear a Magnusson long throw.

The loose ball was pounced upon by Diedhiou who gratefully converted the chance through a crowd of players into an empty net.

The Robins were evidently out to target Wiedwald and Leeds with high deliveries and City then doubled their lead from another long throw just five minutes later.

This time Aden Flint knocked down Magnusson's delivery and Marlow Pack's cross was then seized upon by Reid who rifled the ball home into the roof of the net.

Reid went close to making it 3-0 a few minutes later when his shot was deflected wide before Leeds squandered an opening when Vurnon Anita played inHernandez who sent an inviting delivery across the box which ultimately whizzed away to safety.

The Robins continued to press for a third and after Lasogga had scuffed a long shot wide, Wiedwald produced a strong save to deny Ryan Kent after the winger was teed up at an angle by Reid.

From the corner, Flint then glanced a header just wide.

United's Matthew Pennington was then booked for a hefty late challenge on Reid shortly before the break and the end of two minutes added time and the half-time whistle were greeted by loud boos inside Elland Road.

Whites head coach Paul Heckingbottom made no changes during the half-time break and Leeds created a chance three minutes after the restart but Hernandez ultimately saw his shot blocked.

A good sliding challenge from Flint then denied Lasogga a one-on-one but more awful Leeds defending gifted City an opening moments later with Wiedwald keeping out Diedhiou's drive from close range.

United's fans were getting increasingly restless and referee Simon Hooper then felt the crowd's wrath when failing to award United penalty after a powerful Hernandez long shot was blocked.

City's Magnusson then fired a free-kick from 30 yards out over the bar but United were given a glimmer of hope with 18 minutes left when Lasogga brilliantly converted a Hernandez cross from the right hand side at the back post.

Amazingly, United then sent their fans wild when equalising just eight minutes later when a Hernandez corner was finished at the far post by substitute Roofe.

Elland Road sensed an unlikely looking victory and Adam Forshaw twent mightily close to bagging United a third when curling an effort just wide from the edge of the box with five minutes left.

Kalvin Phillips then had an even better chance in the third minute of stoppage time but the midfielder sent his close-range header from a Hernandez free kick over the bar.

And incredibly Lasogga then hit the crossbar with the very last touch of the game with a towering header from a Hernandez free-kick in the fifth minute of added time.

The point left Leeds in 11th and eight points off the play-offs with 14 games left.

Leeds United: Wiedwald, Anita, Pennington, Jansson, De Bock, Forshaw, O'Kane (Phillips 73), Dallas (Sacko 64), Hernandez, Lasogga, Ekuban (Roofe 64). Subs not used: Lonergan, Denton, Vieira, Alioski.

Bristol City: Fielding, Wright, Flint, Magnusson, Bryan, Brownhill (Paterson 79), Smith, Pack, Kent, Diédhiou (Woodrow 80), Reid. Subs not used: Steele, Kelly, Walsh, Eliasson, Diony.

Referee: Simon Hooper.

Attendance: 28,004 (536 away).