Five things you should know about... The Hepworth Wakefield
Think you know The Hepworth Wakefield?
1. The Hepworth Wakefield is an art gallery which opened on 21 May 2011 and is situated on the south side of the River Calder.
2. The gallery is named after artist and sculptor Barbara Hepworth who was born and educated in Wakefield.
3. The Hepworth houses 44 plaster and aluminum working models donated by Dame Barbara Hepworth’s family as well as temporary exhibitions of contemporary art.
4. The gallery has won a number of prestigious awards including Regional Building of the Year for 2012 and most recently it was named Museum of the Year in July 2017.
5. It cost £35 million to build and was designed by British architect David Chipperfield. The structure of the building is composed of ten trapezoidal blocks.