Fire consumes full top floor flat as eight people rescued in block near Chapeltown Road
More than five fire engines have been called out to a blaze at a block of flats in Leeds.
The fire broke out at the block of three flats on St Mary's Road, Potternewton, at about 4.10pm this afternoon (Saturday).
Eight people rescued themselves from the building and were not injured.
Firefighters used six breathing apparatus, two hose reels and one large jet to extinguish the fire.
An eyewitness said that Chapeltown Road was blocked and that police and ambulance services were also on the scene.
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service sent two appliances from Leeds and one each from Moortown, Killingbeck and Hunslet, along with other specialist appliances and officers from across the county.
A spokesperson for the fire service said: "Call to flat fire, the top floor flat of a block of 3, 100% involved.
"Crews used 6 breathing apparatus, 2 hose reels and 1 large jet to extinguish the fire.
"8 people from within the block of flats self rescued and were not injured.
"Appliances from Moortown, Leeds x 2, Kilingbeck and Hunslet attended, along with other specialist appliances and officers from across the county.
"Location: St Marys Road, Potternewton, Leeds."