Electrical socket catches fire in cladded highrise building in Leeds

Crews from five stations were sent to a cladded highrise block of flats in Leeds when an electrical socket caught fire.

By Georgina Morris
Thursday, 3rd February 2022, 9:54 am
Updated Thursday, 3rd February 2022, 9:56 am

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service was alerted shortly after 10.15pm on Wednesday night when a fire began in a seventh floor flat in Cross Chancellor Street.

Read More

Read More
"Peoples lives have been put on hold": Leeds MP calls for more government action...

A spokesperson said crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, a dry powder fire extinguisher and a high powered fan to deal with the fire and rid the flat of smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Firefighters were called to a property in Cross Chancellor Street. Picture: Google

They said an electrical socket in a seventh floor flat of a cladded highrise block of flats had been involved in the fire.

They added that no injuries were reported and smoke detectors had been working at the time of the incident.

Firefighters from Leeds, Moortown, Hunslet, Killingbeck and Bradford all attended the scene.

Support the YEP and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news and the latest on Leeds United. With a digital subscription, you'll see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.