Violent teenage rapist bit inmate's face in savage attack during fight over FIFA PlayStation game at Wetherby Young Offender Institution

A convicted teenage rapist bit into the face of a fellow inmate as they fought over a FIFA PlayStation game at a young offender institution.

Wednesday, 3rd March 2021, 6:00 am

James Di Libero sank his teeth into his rival's cheek and forehead during the attack a Wetherby YOI.

Leeds Crown Court heard officers could see teeth marks on the victim's face after the attack.

Di Libero showed no remorse after inflicting the injuries and boasted: "That's going to be my new thing."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wetherby Young Offender Institution

Martin Robertshaw, prosecuting, said Di Libero is now aged 18 but was 17 at the time of the incident on October 3, 2019.

Di Libero is serving an extended prison sentence of 15 years for raping a 14-year-old girl.

He had been been an inmate at Wetherby since October 2018.

Read More

Read More
'A thoroughly nasty assault': Leeds dad repeatedly kicked his partner on bedroom...

Mr Robertshaw said the incident happened at 6.30pm as Di Libero and the other inmates were unlocked from their cells for association.

The teenagers fell out as they were playing the FIFA football game on the PlayStation.

The prosecutor said: "At some stage an argument developed between the complainant and the defendant, who took the view that it was his turn to play on the PlayStation."

There was an argument before Di Libero punched the inmate.

The youth punched him back in self defence but the defendant got him into a headlock.

He then bit him three times to the forehead and cheek.

Mr Robertshaw said: "According to the prison officers, you could see teeth marks on the victim's forehead and he was screaming out in pain."

"The defendant showed no remorse at all. He said 'that's going to be my new thing', meaning biting.

"He appeared to be gloating about the complainant."

The inmate needed a tetanus injection after the attack.

Di Libero pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He appeared in court via a videolink from HMP Wandsworth.

Giles Grant, mitigating, said Di Libero had recently been diagnosed as having schizophrenia.

Mr Grant said his client pleaded guilty at an early stage.

Judge Penelope Belcher said: "I am willing to conclude that your mental impairment at the time did affect your ability to make sensible choices."

Di Libero was given a 22-week sentence, to run concurrently to the sentence he is already serving.