Teenager bit two police officers at house in Leeds

A teenager who bit two police officers during a violent struggle at a house in Leeds has been given a hospital order.

By Mark Lavery
Sunday, 8th December 2019, 6:00 am

One officer had to punch and headbutt Rami Mirandela during the incident at Mirandela's home on Compton View, Harehills, Leeds Crown Court heard.

The court heard 19-year-old Mirandela was later diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and will be detained at a secure hospital.

Prosecutor Bashir Ahmed said on March 1, Mirandela was seen shouting and swearing and drinking alcohol on Briggate in Leeds city centre.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Leeds Crown Court

Mirandela was arrrested after a chase and found to be possession of a lock knife and a small amount of cannabis.

Mirandela was on bail on May 20 when his family called police just before 7.30am that morning to say he was armed with a knife when he had chased his father around the house.

Mr Ahmed said police attended and Mirandela kicked a female police officer in the face as he was being taken away.

Mirandela was on police bail when the next offences happened on May 25.

Mirandela's family called police at around 6pm that day to say he had armed himself with knives and was barricading himself in a bedroom.

Mr Ahmed said Mirandela was bare chested in the living room and became aggressive when police tried to handcuff him.

Mr Ahmed there was a struggle and Mirandela bit one officer on the arm and wrist.

The court heard Mirandela ran at the second officer - who feared he would be bitten - and punched Mirandela in the face.

Mr Ahmed said Mirandela bit the second officer on the arm and tried to grab his Taser.

The court heard the officer headbutted Mirandela before his colleague sprayed CS spray at him.

Mr Ahmed said it took four officers to gain control of Mirandela.

Both officers had to have tetanus jobs, antibiotics and undergo blood tests at hospital after being bitten.

The court heard two psychiatrists concluded Mirandela was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and recommended a hospital order sentence.

Mirandela, admitted possessing a bladed article, possessing cannabis and three charges of assaulting an emergency worker.

Sentencing Mirandela to a hospital order with restrictions for an indefinite period, Judge Geoffrey Marson QC said: "This is a desperately sad case."