Swarcliffe machete attack: Councillor 'horrified' as teenager's hand cut off but praises residents for efforts to help
A Leeds councillor has described his horror after a teenager's hand was cut off but praised local residents for rushing to help him.
The machete attack happened in Stanks Parade in Swarcliffe just after 9.30pm on Tuesday, April 13.
An 18-year-old man's hand had been completely severed.
He is receiving treatment in hospital but his condition is not thought to be life-threatening.
Councillor Peter Gruen (Labour, Cross Gates and Whinmoor) expressed his shock at the incident but moved to reassure residents and thank them for trying to help the young man.
Coun Gruen, who is a member of the West Yorkshire Police and Crime Panel, said: "I am horrified that such an incident can take place in broad daylight on a normal shopping parade.
"I would like to reassure residents that we are very closely in touch with our police colleagues and I welcome the additional legal powers which are now at the disposal of the police.
"This swift action is both necessary and needed.
"I would also like to thank those local people who tried to help the wounded person. Our best wishes for a proper recovery go to him.”
There have been increased police patrols in the area.
Officers have also been granted extra stop-and-search powers to try to prevent further serious violent offences.
The order, made under section 60 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, will last until around 3pm on Thursday but will be reviewed before it expires.
Superintendent Russ Hughes, of Leeds district, said: “The incident last night has resulted in a particularly nasty injury being caused to a young man with a machete, and I know people in the community will be as shocked and appalled as we are at this level of violence.
“Violence such as this cannot and will not be tolerated and we will continue doing everything we can to identify those responsible and to take positive action against them.
“We are putting a range of measures in place to deter any further incidents including the use of additional search powers under Section 60. This gives officers an increased ability to target those involved in carrying weapons so we can prevent any further offences.
“Officers from the local neighbourhood policing team will also be increasing their patrols and presence in the area.
“I want to reassure people that we remain very firmly committed to working proactively to keep our communities safe, and I hope they will be supportive of the approach we are taking.”
Anyone who witnessed last night’s incident or who has any information that could assist the investigation is asked to contact Leeds District CID via 101 quoting crime reference 13210182460.