Robber locked up for targeting Leeds city centre taxi drivers with his girlfriend

A robber has been jailed for half for three and a half years after he attacked taxi drivers near to Leeds city centre with his girlfriend.

Friday, 2nd April 2021, 11:45 am

James Cordingley and Charlene Campbell targeted two male victims in the early hours of October 13, 2019.

Leeds Crown Court heard Cordingley, Campbell and another unidentified man got into a taxi driver's vehicle after he parked on Bridge Road, Holbeck at 3.05am.

Caroline Abraham, prosecuting said the driver got back into his car and told them to get out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Robber James Cordingley was jailed for three and a half years.

Cordingley, who was on the back seat, picked up a piece of clothing, put it around the driver's neck and began to choke him.

The driver managed to get out of the car after a struggle but was chased by Cordingley.

Cordingley managed to catch the victim and punched him a number of times to the face.

Read More

Read More
Police discovered cannabis plants worth £20,000 during search of house in Osmond...

When they reached the destination Cordingley put his arms around the driver's neck, causing him to scream.

Campbell put her hand over the driver's mouth to stop him screaming.

Cordingley took two mobile phones from the driver and £150 in cash.

Local residents were alerted by the disturbance and the attackers ran away.

Campbell was identified as a suspect after she dropped her jacket at the scene and it was found to contain her DNA.

Both defendants were also identified from CCTV footage.

Cambell, 37, also of Ashton Road, pleaded guilty to robbery.

Stephen Welford, for Cordingley, said his client had been diagnosed with schizophrenia which is made worse by his use of illicit drugs.

Mr Welford said: "At the time of the offences in 2019 he had lost the support of a community psychiatric nurse who he had been engaging with.

"That led to him stopping his medication."

Christopher Dunn, for Campbell, said his client had been in custody for seven months since being arrested.

She was given a two year sentence, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 40 rehabilitation activity requirement days.