Residents evacuated after fire breaks out near Leeds City Varieties

Firefighters tackled a fire that broke out in Leeds city centre in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Thursday, 28th November 2019, 7:53 am
Updated Thursday, 28th November 2019, 7:54 am

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to Swan Street shortly before 4am.

A Leeds City Council bin had caught fire close to Leeds City Varieties and The Swan Pub.

The fire spread to the external buildings around Swan Apartments.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Swan Street in Leeds City Centre (Photo: Google).

Residents were evacuated due to the thick smoke.

Three fire engines from Leeds and Hunslet were called to the scene.

Two hose reels and two breathing apparatus were used by firefighters.