Police chase uninsured driver from Morley sped through 20mph zones in Beeston

An uninsured driver from Morley who reversed into a police car before a chase in the Beeston area of Leeds has been jailed.

Tuesday, 25th May 2021, 6:08 am

Daniel Barker was at the wheel of a Ford Streetka with false number plates which police attempted to stop on cul-de-sac Normanton Place, Leeds Crown Court heard.

Eddison Flint , prosecuting, said Barker reversed the Streetka, which struck the front near side of the marked police car.

Barker, of Hepworth Avenue, Churwell, Morley, then drove off towards Malvern Road during the incident just before 9pm on April 2.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Daniel Barker drove at more than 50mph in a 20mph zone on Beeston Road. Image: Google

Barker, 33, overtook a number of vehicles on Malvern Road, causing other drivers to swerve to avoid head-on collisions.

Mr Flint said Barker drove at over 50mph in a 20mph zone on Beeston Road before overtaking a car at the junction with Lady Pit Lane.

Barker went on to Hunslet Hall Road and overtook a double decker bus, narrowly avoiding a head-on collision.

Barker, who was driving at more than 50mph in a 20mph zone, overtook a number of vehicles on the wrong side of the road.

He went the wrong way on to oncoming traffic at the junction of Dewsbury Road and Garnet Road.

Police followed Barker on to Tempest Road, Burlington Place and Harlech Road where Barker got out of the car and ran off.

Barker ran into a shop and police followed and arrested him.

The Streetka, which had false number plates, was not taxed or insured and had not had an MOT for four years.

Mr Flint said police found a knife - like a miniature replica of a samurai sword - at the side of the driver's seat.

Barker admitted dangerous driving, driving with no insurance and possessing a bladed article.

Barker has 22 previous convictions for 53 offences, including drink driving and aggravated vehicle taking.

The court heard there was only slight damage to the police car.

Nicholas Hammond, mitigating, said: "It would appear to be a relatively short pursuit of about two minutes."

Jailing Barker for 13 months, Judge Christopher Batty told him: "This was a really stupid thing to do."

He added: "There could have been someone very seriously injured here."

Barker was banned from driving for three-years-and-six-months.