Mental health workers taken prisoner at knife-point then tied up and had pillow cases put over their heads when they went to patient's home

Two mental health care workers were tied up at knife-point, had pillow cases placed over their heads and were kept prisoner in a patient's home when they went to check on his welfare.

Friday, 21st May 2021, 4:45 am

Drew Trudgill also threatened to shoot the victims with an improvised firearm during the incident at the house in Cleckheaton.

Leeds Crown Court heard Trudgill has a history of mental health problems.

The incident took place in May last year when the mental health care workers, a man and a woman, went to his home to check on him.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Turnsteads Drive, Cleckheaton

Trudgill allowed them into the property on Turnsteads Drive then took out a knife.

Matthew Harding, prosecuting, said the 31-year-old used cable ties to tie their hands and feet together before placing pillow cases over their heads.

Trudgill then began "ranting", accusing the two victims of being "part of the system that ruined his life."

He told the victims to lie on the floor and started smoking cigarettes and pacing around.

Read More

Read More
Drug driver hit pedestrian during dangerous police chase then stole £9,000 worth...

Mr Harding said Trudgill was wearing a stab vest with a hammer and a knife attached to it.

The woman became so scared that she tried to jump out of a window.

Trudgill stopped her and stabbed her in the leg with the knife.

The prosecutor said the victims became more terrified as time went on and they believed they were going to die.

The woman managed to reach her mobile phone and raised the alarm by sending a text message which read: "Send help".

Mr Harding said a "considerable number" of armed police officers forced entry into the property.

The muzzle from the weapon Trudgill was holding flashed and smoke came out of it but it was not capable of discharging ammunition.

He then co-operated with the officers and was placed in handcuffs.

The court heard both victims had suffered from nightmares and anxiety since the incident.

They described how Trudgill appeared to enjoy the control he had over the situation.

Trudgill appeared in court via a video link from Rampton High Security Hospital.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of false imprisonment and two of making threats to kill.

The court heard he had been detained under the Mental Heath Act on two previous occasions.

Doctors assessed Trudgill as posing a high risk to the public.

Martin Morrow, mitigating, said Trudgill had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and had been responding well to treatment while in custody.

Trudgill was made the subject of a hospital order for an indefinite period of time.

Judge Neil Clark said: "The mental health workers were there to help you and deal with your condition.

"The attack you subjected them to was utterly terrifying, there is no getting around that.

"I hope that you get better in the long run. I hope that you continue to comply with your medication.

"If you do then the future is brighter."