Maths teacher seriously injured in attack by teenager in queue for McDonald's in Leeds

A man suffered serious facial injuries when he was punched during row in a queue outside a McDonald's in Leeds city centre.

By Tony Gardner
Sunday, 2nd February 2020, 5:00 pm
Updated Sunday, 2nd February 2020, 5:29 pm

A judge described how Fraaz Sarwar 'acted the big man’ when he punched the victim after taking exception to being filmed outside the fast food restaurant

Fraaz Sarwar was captured on CCTV footage repeatedly punching the victim on Briggate.

The 30-year-old victim needed an operation after suffering a serious injury to his eye and now suffers from blurred vision.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Fraaz Sarwar attacked his victim outside McDonald's, on Briggate.

Beverley Wright, prosecuting, said the victim was a maths teacher and had been in Leeds for the weekend for a maths convention.

He attempted to get into McDonald's at about 4am on Saturday, March 31, but was refused entry by security staff who said he was too drunk.

The victim started filming people waiting in the queue as he believed they were just as drunk as he was.

Leeds Crown Court was shown CCTV footage of Sarwar stepping out of the queue and aiming punches at the man.

Staff intervened and noticed the victim was bleeding from the eye area.

Sarwar, of Buller Close, Harehills, Leeds, was arrested and made no comment in his police interview.

The victim was left with a permanent scar and suffers from blurred vision.

Sarwar, now aged 20, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

He has a previous conviction for violence.

Sarwar claimed he had become violent because the victim made a racist comment towards him but the judge said there was no evidence to suggest that was true.

Judge Robin Mairs told Sarwar: "You should have learned your lesson from the last time you were in the dock because you went to custody then.

"From what I have heard in the reports, you did not like it and do not want to go back.

"It makes your behaviour all the more remarkable."

He added: "This was showing off in front of others. This was acting the big man."

Sarwar was handed an 18-month prison sentence, suspended for 24 months, and ordered to complete 300 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £600 towards prosecution costs.